Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Pinned Boundary Condition or Contact Conditions

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
494 Views, 1 Reply

Using Pinned Boundary Condition or Contact Conditions

I could use some assistance. I hope this is a simple enough question.

I have a steel structure that generally looks like this.

Base Example.jpg

I am attempting to use the stress analysis environment to check how the structure handles the load that will be placed on top. I call the diagonal members 'cross members'. The cross members will be attached to the vertical columns with bolts.

My questions is: to simulate this connection, cross members bolted to the vertical columns, should I use the pin boundary condition where each bolt would go, or should I set the contact condition of each cross member to be separation from the column and then set the contact condition of the cross member holes to be bonded to their corresponding hole on the column?

Labels (4)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! A few suggestion if you want to use Inventor Stress Analysis or Frame Analysis on this particular model. I suggest you want to simplify the geometry. The bolts and holes can be considered fixed or pinned constraint. Also, you don't need to analyze the entire frame. You can do it by section. The bottom layer bears the most load. I suggest you start there. Make sure you apply the equivalent load when you remove other frame members.

Or, you may want to use Inventor NASTRAN for more detail study.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report