Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update step files from original?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Winks87
744 Views, 5 Replies

Update step files from original?

It appears you can update a step file when you modify the original file it was created from.  I selected the assembly option with the link when creating a step file.  I modified the original file, but the step file does not appear to be updating.  Has anyone figured this out?  I am using Inventor 2017 with Vault.

James Winkler
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Winks87

Hi! I assume you are talking about STEP AnyCAD workflow. You will need to set Import Type to Reference Model. Also, it depends on what kind of change you made in the step file and how it was exported from the other CAD system. Do you have an example showing the non-updating behavior? Please post it here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
SBix26

I think you're misunderstanding the AnyCAD Reference function-- AnyCAD allows the STEP file to update the Inventor model, not the other way around.

You can reference a STEP file in an Inventor model, and when the STEP file is replaced with a newer version, the changes appear in the Inventor model.  If I'm reading correctly, you want changes in your Inventor model to update the STEP file created from it, which, as far as I can tell, is not possible; you simply have to re-export the model each time it is modified.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 4 of 6
Winks87
in reply to: SBix26

This was a large Inventor file we created a step file of to improve performance.  There is no link between the step file and the original inventor file?

James Winkler
Message 5 of 6
SBix26

As far as I know, there is no link between an Inventor file and any exports created from it.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.4
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.3
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 6 of 6
Winks87
in reply to: SBix26

Ok, thank you for the info.

James Winkler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report