Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units and Precision over 500ft

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chris.deangelisYQWZG
266 Views, 3 Replies

Units and Precision over 500ft

I would like to use inventor to map out a large area that is about 500 feet wide. This causes major issues when extruding parts, as it is "out of bounds." To workaround this I can switch units to "inches" essentially using a 1:12 scale. 

However, I see that inventor has an extremely high precision 0.000 000 0 (7 decimal places).  This is way overkill for me. would it be possible to lower this precision to 3 decimal places, extend the 3D boundaries and use a 1 to 1 scale?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi @chris.deangelisYQWZG ,

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you in a part file trying to create a part feature that is over 500ft?

Or in a drawing file?

There did used to be some graphics display limitations for long parts, but I thought those were fixed/removed in more recent versions of Inventor.   What version of Inventor are you using?   (see swalton's reply below )

This is a really old post on this subject:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/model-extents/m-p/1127078#M109403

I think @swalton has had some experience with this issue in the past, so I'll tag him as well.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 4

@Curtis_Waguespack, I'll try to address the questions...

Per the Inventor help file: https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-84623939-38A8-49BF-8D97-BB9DA3697056

Inventor doesn't like to model parts that are bigger than 100m (328 ft) or outside of a +-100 meter cube, centered at the part origin.  As I understand it, these are hard limits set in the modeling kernel and users can't modify them.

My large parts have been long segments of rolled steel shapes.  They tend to work ok during modeling, but have issues in the drawing environment.  I have assemblies that are 1800ft-2500ft long.

@chris.deangelisYQWZG: You might try modeling your 500 ft wide part in two separate strips, then place them in an assembly.  An assembly can be as large as you want, except no assembly level features outside of the +-100m cube.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 4

Hi! Inventor is a true-scale CAD system. The 3D body geometry is accurate up to 0.00001mm regardless of measurement unit. Are you using the foot value in inch?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report