Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected degree of freedom arrow after symmetric assembly constraint

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
500 Views, 4 Replies

Unexpected degree of freedom arrow after symmetric assembly constraint

Here is a grounded board (upper left), an assembly workplane (offset from the grounded board), and a copy of the grounded board (lower right). The copy is flush constrained on two origin planes, and the final position determined by a symmetric constraint. It is correctly placed but the a DOF marker suggests it is free to move along one dimension:Symmetric constraintSymmetric constraint

The DOF display is the same if this constraint is suppressed, and in that state the DOF is expected.

Even more confusing, if instead the copied board has the same origin plane constraints, but the symmetric constraint is replaced by a mate constraint to the same workplane, the DOF indicator is gone:

Mate constraint.Mate constraint.

Why the difference? The workplane is a symmetry plane and I really want to use the symmetric constraint, but the pesky DOF indicator is a concern because I don't understand it. It is either a bug, or I missing something fundamental.

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Unexpected degree of freedom after symmetric assembly constraint -- help!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous I followed your workflow and can verify that when you add the symmetry constraint the DOF glyph remains in 2018 initial release version.

What update are you on?

The functionality of the constraint works it's just the little green arrow that doesn't go away.

I have forwarded the information to the development team for further review.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

This is Build: 227, Release 2018.2, Date 10/24/2017.

Thanks for confirming the issue.

Message 4 of 5
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Hanafey,

It was confirmed as a defect and ticket INVGEN-11484 was followed for fixing.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Here is a more noisy version of the same problem:

No real DOFNo real DOF

The board with the rotational DOF has two symmetric constraints, and one origin plane constraint to fix it's position.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report