Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uneven surface

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
1191 Views, 20 Replies

Uneven surface

This is a trial. This model’s bottom surface is uneven. I want to make 4 similar chamfers on 4 surfaces. Start 2D Sketch command is selecting only one surface at a time. I know one method is using Work Plane command then I can select all 4 surfaces together.

I wish to know whether there is any method to use PLANES in the left side of browser. Because XZ plane is highlighting the entire surface.

Uneven surface.png plane.png

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

...Start 2D Sketch command is selecting only one surface at a time. I know one method is using Work Plane command then I can select all 4 surfaces together. 

You should have stopped with Sketch1 - it is not fully constrained.

I recommend that you sign up for a class on using geometry.

You can only start a sketch on a plane.

A planar part face is a plane.

You do not need to select multiple faces to define one sketch plane.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Now it is fully constrained. I attach the file.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous

So what is the usage of this plan? It is highly appreciated if you can explain with example.

az.png

Message 5 of 21
JDMather

Use the origin workplanes if possible.  (They can't be deleted - rock solid foundation.)

If you can't use the origin planes then create a plane offset from the origin plane

or

use a part face.  (The part face can be deleted - so this isn't rock solid foundation, but if you know the part face will not be deleted in a future edit - then it is fine to use the part face.)

Does your instructor teach you anything in this class?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous

My instructor ask me to use array command to create 4 chamfers in a one shot.
Message 7 of 21
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
My instructor ask me to use array command to create 4 chamfers in a one shot.

And what did he/she say when you said it wasn't working and asked them for assistance?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 21
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

and why are you even worried about creating sketches for chamfers or an array?

You don't need a sketch for a chamfer or an array..

And you can't just array chamfers either.. You can array an extrusion and chamfers applied to it but you cannot array JUST chamfers..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 21
JDMather

When you get it finished - attach your file here and someone will show you how it should have been done (the easy way).

Message 10 of 21
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
When you get it finished - attach your file here and someone will show you how it should have been done (the easy way).

Isn't that his instructors job Smiley Tongue

From his questions so far its clear his instructor is absolutely useless..

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

I didn't try my instructor method. Create one chamfer and duplicate it as you need, this may be the my instructor's method.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

Here we are. I have created 4 chamfers using my instructor's array method.

Message 13 of 21
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Here we are. I have created 4 chamfers using my instructor's array method.

You should have said you wanted to make a "chamfered hole" not just a chamfer in your original post (actually you probably should have called it a "countersunk hole"..)

Note there is a difference in "chamfer" and a "countersink" when applied to a hole..

A "chamfer" when applied to a hole is used to allow a pin or similar to fit into the hole easier or just to eliminate the sharp edge and as such diameter and angle tolerances aren't as critical.

A "countersink" when applied to a hole is to serve as a bearing surface for a flat head fastener and requires greater accuracy vs a chamfer... 

But since you didn't even include the word "hole" we got confused as to what you wanted..

This whole time I thought you wanted to do this which is a "chamfer"..

chamfer.PNG

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous

Thank you for your explanation.
Message 15 of 21
RobSinglehurst

I've attached a modified version of your part with the part centred around the origin workplanes and then just using Mirror features instead of the Rectangular Array - much easier to modify in the future if you need to re-use it. I also removed a horizontal line in your first sketch to make it obvious which is the loop to extrude.

Centering on the workplanes makes the part much easier to constrain in an assembly as you will just constrain to the part origin workplanes which are always there.

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: RobSinglehurst

Thank you for your help.

You begin the model from scratch. You place the origin to the middle point of the model. I wish to know whether it possible to move my model’s middle point to origin. I have attached the copy of my original model.

I asking this merely to explore the method of moving the model.  

Message 17 of 21
RobSinglehurst

I used your model. Don't think of in terms of moving the part origin - more like moving the geometry in relation to the part origin.

I edited Sketch1 so that the projected part origin was vertically aligned to the midpoint of the raised line. I then turned the Extrusion into a Symmetric Extrusion (I nearly always use this option as then you don't have to extrude in the correct direction). 

I then edited Sketch2 in the same way and turned this Extrusion into a Cut All instead of a set distance as then this will take care of any future changes to the model.

In Sketch 6 I deleted the lines and directly dimensioned from the projected edges to the centre point of the circle. I only ever project the actual geometry I need for the sketch - less errors if changes are made at a later date higher up the 

Finally deleted the Rectangular Pattern and used the 2 x  Mirror Features instead - no need for any parameters etc once everything is modelled symmetrically.

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 18 of 21
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your help.

You begin the model from scratch. You place the origin to the middle point of the model. I wish to know whether it possible to move my model’s middle point to origin. I have attached the copy of my original model.

I asking this merely to explore the method of moving the model.  

Simply edit the first sketch and move the geometry to be centered on the center point..

If modeled correctly all other sketches/features should update automatically..

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous

I adopt your method but other sketches/features didn’t update automatically. I am going to try again. May be the error in moving the geometry.
Message 20 of 21
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
I adopt your method but other sketches/features didn’t update automatically. I am going to try again. May be the error in moving the geometry.

Worked just fine for me..

I edited your first sketch.. Removed one constraint to allow the sketch to move.. projected the center point and added horizontal and vertical constraints to center the sketch around the center point.. Then finished the sketch and eveything updated properly.. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report