Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding: Extrude and Sheet Metal Face

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
foolishgrunt
1693 Views, 11 Replies

Understanding: Extrude and Sheet Metal Face

I have a question that I'm sure would need a fairly technical answer, but I'm willing to settle for anything that anybody could possibly help me understand.

screenshot.png

I have the above sketch. These are projected outlines of two bodies (all bodies are hidden for clarity), and the larger body is elliptical. I want to create a sheet metal face inside the closed loop formed by the intersection of the outlines, on the right side of the sketch. When I try to create a sheet metal 'Face', the outline is not recognized as a valid profile. But when I use 'Extrude,' the profile is recognized and the body is created.

screenshot2.png

Now if I go back and create new curves within the sketch to duplicate the outline of the smaller part, and terminate the ends with coincident constraints on the ellipse, 'Face' now recognizes the outline as a valid profile and creates the body. 'Extrude' also works as expected. So it appears that, for some reason, 'Face' needs to see those coincident constraints while 'Extrude' does not.

screenshot3.png

Here things get a little weirder, because what I really want is to offset the new profile of the new body from the elliptical outline by one material thickness, as seen above. If I manually draw a new ellipse that is one material thickness larger in both axes, 'Face' and 'Extrude' both recognize the profile as valid. But if I don't manually draw the new ellipse and I instead use the 'Offset' command to create the larger ellipse, 'Face' once again fails to recognize the profile while 'Extrude' command succeeds.

To my layman's understanding, there should not be any difference between the 'Face' and 'Extrude' commands when it comes to recognizing profiles. Is anybody able to enlighten me as to why they're behaving differently in my case here? I wish to understand so I can better tailor my workflow in the future to avoid hitting such roadblocks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: foolishgrunt

Good question.. As they have been modifying the profile detection in the past few releases I'm going to guess that they have implemented it for the extrude function but have not yet gotten around to doing the same for the face command.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
JDMather

@foolishgrunt wrote:

1. If I instead use the 'Offset' command to create the larger ellipse, 'Face' once again fails to recognize the profile 'Extrude' command does.

2. To my layman's understanding, there should not be any difference between the 'Face' and 'Extrude' commands when it comes to recognizing profiles. 

1. Offset of ellipse can create two different curves.

If you offset near the major or minor axis - a true mathematical ellipse is created (not equidistant curve).

If you offset away from major or minor axis - an equidistant spline curve is created (not a true mathematical ellipse.

2:42 in the video below...

2. I agree.  My guess is that the Face command is still using the old profile recognition scheme.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: mcgyvr

And the trick/workaround that worked with old profile recognition we are talking about is to place points at each intersection.. Then Inventor will allow you to pick the profile you want.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 12
foolishgrunt
in reply to: mcgyvr

Ah, I see what JDMather is referring to about the offset creating a different curve - it is a little different. So I guess now I understand why that may have thrown the Face command.

I'll also keep in mind mcgyvr's workaround for placing points at the intersections. Thank you both for chiming in, I guess now I'll just have to see whether Face's profile recognition improves in future releases.

Message 6 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior is indeed related to profile recognition. Sheet Metal Face is not yet leveraging the geometry-based profile recognition. It is still using the traditional constraint-based profile recognition.

For this case, you will need to add sketch points at the intersection (where the two curves intersect). Then Inventor Sheet Metal Face will be able to find the regions.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 12
foolishgrunt

So it turns out that part of my question remains. I was able to proceed with my work for the time being by creating a new ellipse in the face profile, but as JDMather pointed out, it's actually a different curve than the offset that I really want. So in the interest of accuracy, I went back and redrew the profile using 'Offset' this time. As you can see the profile is recognized by the 'Face' command:

screenshot.png

However, the face fails to actually be created and produces the following error:

screenshot2.png

So for whatever reason, the face creation succeeds when using a larger ellipse to simulate the offset, but using the actual offset feature generates this error. Any ideas why? (And yes, 'Extrude' again succeeds where 'Face' fails.)

Message 8 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! It looks like a bug. Please share the file here. I would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 12
foolishgrunt
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I reproduced the error by starting from a blank file, please see attached.

Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! Many thanks for sharing the file! It does look like a bug. Face should work. I need to work with the project team to understand it better. In the meantime, you can use Extrude command and set distance to Thickness to create the face-like geometry.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12

Hi @johnsonshiue 

Why has this not been updated yet, that the "Extrude" and "Face" features work the same in terms of picking up geometry?

Regards 

Message 12 of 12

Hi! The same profile recognition ability has been added to Sheet Metal Face command on Inventor 2024.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report