Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set subcomponent BOM structure as reference

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Matt.horv
234 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to set subcomponent BOM structure as reference

Hi,

I have part 1 (P1) in assembly 1 (A1), and A1 is a subassembly to A2.

I have been in the past able to set part 1 in assembly 1 as normal, but reference in assembly 2. Currently this option is greyed out.

There are 2 ways to set apart reference:

1. from iProperties (or BOM), which changes the part to reference in all other assemblies it's represented in.

2. from the assembly browser, which only sets that part as reference in the particular assembly.

I am trying to use method 2 as I don't  want to change the part itself. However, in A2 I only have the option to set the subassembly A1 as reference and not part P1. You can see this in below snippets. (items are all checked out and editable) 

Matthorv_0-1710503073352.png  Matthorv_1-1710503095871.png

I have read up on this thread,  and while it considers the suppression state issues, I thought it might be connected to my issue. 

Could you please advise if there is any working solutions?

Thanks,

Matt

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi

What happens when you open an A2 file and make a change to it?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 7

Hi Kacper, how do you mean? 

Message 4 of 7

Open A file & change part type in A assembly.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 7

If I set P1 reference inside A1, then it will still show up as normal when I look at the BOM in A2.

I want P1 to be normal in A1, and reference in A2. This is what I am having issues with, because it was possible previously but now I cannot do it.

Message 6 of 7
James_Willo
in reply to: Matt.horv

Hi there, I think this is because you can only override at the top level, if you want to set that part as reference you need to open assembly 1:1 and override it there. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Matt.horv

Hi Matt,

Or you change the Part1's BOM Structure property in its Doc Settings (open the part -> Tools -> Doc Settings -> BOM -> BOM Structure -> Reference).

Please note that changing it in the Doc Settings means the particular part will be default to Reference wherever it is consumed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report