Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to flatten plate

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
richard.jacksonJ4NYZ
344 Views, 5 Replies

Unable to flatten plate

Hi All,

I am having trouble flattening a plate that follows a 3D curve. I can create the plate using 'sweep' and it looks fine, but will not flatten. I have tried using all other ways to reproduce this shape but without success. Any ideas please.

As a secondary task, I would then like to place a set of csk holes on the flat pattern but also show them in the bent version also. The holes will be on the concave surface.

Thanks in anticipation

Rich

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Inventor's sheetmetal unfolder has some limitations.  It works best on single axis bends, like those made in a simple press brake.   Your part is curved in two directions, so the unfolder may not be able to handle it.

Try remaking the shape using the Lofted Flange or Contour Roll tools.  Inventor will unfold shapes made with those tools.

Inventor 2020 introduced the Unwrap tool that might be helpful if you can upgrade.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 6

There are multiple issues, not the least of which is that the profile sketch is not perpendicular to the sweep path.

In the end, you will probably need Inventor 2020 to accomplish this goal.

I am busy today - I will take a second look on Monday if someone else does not pick this one up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6

Hi Richard,

Like JD and Steve mentioned here, there are multiple issues with the part. First, the Sweep profile is not perpendicular to the start of the path. As a result, the actual body thickness isn't 10mm, though it was set to 10mm. You can use Measure tool to see the body thickness. It turns out to be 9.98mm

Second, the Sweep along the 3D arc with a non-perpendicular profile creates a non-developable spline face. To make it developable, I use Guide Surface Sweep (workplane as a guide).

Lastly, I use Thicken to ensure the uniform body thickness. After that, the flat pattern can be made (see attached file).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6

Thank you guys for looking at this problem. Johnson, your fix is just what I need to conclude my task. Looking around this forum I am impressed with the general help & tips. Enjoy the rest of the Solstice everyone.

cheers

Rich

Message 6 of 6

Hi Richard,

I guess you forgot to accept my posting as a solution. Could you do that?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report