Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UCS help please.

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
537 Views, 12 Replies

UCS help please.

The problem: I have a bunch of parts modeled. I need to change the XYZ to a different orientation. Basically, what should be Z is currently Y on many parts. The UCS option in the TOOLS tab makes an entirely new UCS (not what I want), and the UCS setting in the Document Settings seams to be only visual.

I have seen a few solutions on here and some other forums, but not what I needed. All I want is the little UCS icon (In the bottom corner) to orient to the way I need it. Any help would be appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Can I ask why?

It needs be set up on the sketch level.   You can the view by change the View Cube Orientation.    Set the front or Top on how you want it to be for the models you've done, and then change the starting point from this point on

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: mdavis22569

I agree with Mike.  And on older parts, depending on how they were created and how complex, you MIGHT be able to redefine the first sketch, and with luck the rest of the part will update too.  A lot of factors determine if that will work, so tread lightly and proceed with caution.

Message 4 of 13
TheCADWhisperer

If for some odd reason you really really need to re-orient the part, and a simple redefinition of the sketch plane will not work (not likely to work) - then use the Move/Rotate Body command.

Message 5 of 13
cbenner
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

If for some odd reason you really really need to re-orient the part, and a simple redefinition of the sketch plane will not work (not likely to work) - then use the Move/Rotate Body command.

Nice.... but why Radians?  That seems a bit odd to me.   Not many people actually work with radians.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

We run a lot of stuff off of parameters. They are preloaded from the company template on every drawing and "drive" our BOMs. We use Z for thickness but I constantly come across drawings that are not oriented properly. Rotating the entire part would also work, changing the XYZ on the first sketch breaks more than it fixes, unfortunately.

Small example (Most basic I could find)

For this changing the sketch would likely work, due to the simple model. but the UCS in the bottom left is the one I want to change.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: cbenner

@cbenner wrote:

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

Nice.... but why Radians?  That seems a bit odd to me.   Not many people actually work with radians.

Where did that come from?

Degrees of Rotation.PNG

Message 8 of 13
cbenner

The one in the corner is the origin marker, not a defineable UCS.  Using one of the methods mentioned, you will have to manipulate the model to orient it correctly in relation to that, if you really need it to change.

Message 10 of 13
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: cbenner

Your document settings must have been changed to Radian?

Angles.png

If I change mine, then I get the dialog box with units as you show in Radians rather than Degrees.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

Best solution I have found... I figured this would be a relatively easy thing to do, oh well.

Message 12 of 13
TheCADWhisperer

Well, you are not changing a User Coordinate System, you are changining relative to the Cartesian "World Coordinate System", an absolute.

Message 13 of 13
cbenner

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

Your document settings must have been changed to Radian?

Angles.png

If I change mine, then I get the dialog box with units as you show in Radians rather than Degrees.

Entirely possible, I just realized the part I opened to look at this was an imported part... not even one of mine!  😄

Thanks for the lesson man!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report