Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning a 3d model to 2D dxf for 2D cutting and bending(sheet metal)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
440 Views, 5 Replies

Turning a 3d model to 2D dxf for 2D cutting and bending(sheet metal)

Hello, 

I'm as a very beginner Invertor user(From fusion 360 user) I want to take a 3d model I designed in fusion and take advantage of the sheet metal capabilities of Inventor as it's not yet available in fusion 360 to cut the shape from a sheet metal with a grinder and then bend it 90 degrees

I gave it a try and realized I couldn't for some reason and the interface if very confusing for me as I don't even know where they want me to click even from Face selection. I'd expect to just have to choose the faces that represent the cut and then the edge that represent the bent.

Here's the 3d model fillets may be removed if are a problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Could you tell me what Inventor release you have access to?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Inventor 2018 pro

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! The STEP body has serious imprecision issues. Some faces are not perfectly perpendicular. The geometry is supposed to be symmetric but it is not. I have used some modeling commands to clean up the issues. Attached is the sheet metal part in Inventor. I think this part can easily be remodeled in Inventor. I am not sure where the imprecision comes from. You may need to check the original model.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Well thanks I guess that kinda works now magically but I was hoping to see how to fix the problem and learn about the interface of Inventor and what it wants me to click as a human.

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suggest you take a look the finished part I attached and edit each feature to see how I approached the issues. You should be able to recreate the part with all sheet metal features. This is a good way to learn. If you follow the practice correctly, I don't think you would encounter imprecision issues in Inventor.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report