Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off automatic Part Number = File Name?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
5811 Views, 15 Replies

Turn off automatic Part Number = File Name?

By chance is there a registry setting to turn off the behavior that writes the file name to the Part Number iProperty automatically? We fight this feature far more than it helps us, so I was just wondering if someone would happen to know of a regedit option to turn it off.

Currently we use a bit of code to prompt for Part Numbers but the filename= part number feature still gets us everyonce in a while.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mflayler
in reply to: Anonymous

I have used a snippet Rob put on the site a while ago to do this:

PartNumber = iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")
If PartNumber = "" Or PartNumber = ThisDoc.FileName'(False) 'without extension
PartNumber = InputBox("Please Enter the iProperty Part Number", "iProperties Check - Part Number", PartNumber)
iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")= PartNumber
End If

I suppose if you cancel it you might get hosed a little bit, but I haven't yet.  To my knowledge there is not a registry edit for this.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks Mark.

Thats a bit of an improvement over what I currently have.

I'd still be interested in a regedit solution is anyone happens to know of one.

Message 4 of 16
bobvdd

I don't understand the infatuation with registry settings (I am not even sure there is a registry setting that can influence this).  Why not simply add following rule to your part template and have the rule triggered before save:

iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")= ""

The rule empties the partnumber. Or change the "" to anything else you want to have in your partnumber.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: bobvdd

bobvdd wrote:

I don't understand the infatuation with registry settings (I am not even sure there is a registry setting that can influence this).  

Bob,

I'm going to assume you didn't mean that to be as condescending as it comes across. I can't speak for others, but I am not infatuated with registry settings, but have learned over time that AD has often included them to control things that are otherwise hardcoded. Thus the inquiry about one for this.

bobvdd wrote:

Why not simply add following rule to your part template and have the rule triggered before save:

iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")= ""

The rule empties the partnumber. Or change the "" to anything else you want to have in your partnumber.

Bob

As I mentioned in the original post, I do indeed use a bit of code to handle this presently, but we have situations where this doesn't help.

I'm starting to see a trend with iLogic, where AD defers everything to iLogic rather than considering built in options and fixes. I would imagine a simple tooption toggle on/off the automatic Part Number = File Name function would be useful to many...

...as would:

• the abilty to use iproperties in a part sketch for engraved parts (I know, you can do it with iLogic)
  • the abilty to  set the PDF export options (I know, you can do it with iLogic)
  • the abilty to a default parts list sort order in application options or somewhere (I know, you can do it with iLogic)

and on and on...

I don't understand the infatuation with iLogic for common user request that have been asked for over and over and over for years.

Edit:

And now that I'm looking back at your reply, I'm not sure what the point of it was? Mark's suggestion was obviously a better solution, so I have to assume that maybe you were just trying to soften your "infatuation" remark?

If you have a problem with Regedits, give the user a built in option!

I have no problem with the use of iLogic, btw. It's a great tool.

Message 6 of 16
bobvdd

I understand you want an on-off switch and pre-set defaults.  

The reason I asked the question was that

a) iLogic can help you implement your wish today without having to wait for us implementing it as an application option.

b) registry settings are not documented and not without risk.

If a) does not work for you all the time and assuming that  b) is non-existing, you can always send in your 3 wishes via this form  so that our product designers can react to it.

Cheers.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

@bobvdd wrote:

I understand you want an on-off switch and pre-set defaults.  

The reason I asked the question was that

a) iLogic can help you implement your wish today without having to wait for us implementing it as an application option.

b) registry settings are not documented and not without risk.

If a) does not work for you all the time and assuming that  b) is non-existing, you can always send in your 3 wishes via this form  so that our product designers can react to it.

Cheers.

Bob

Bob,

With all due respect this is rubbish. These request (with the exception of the Part Number = File Name one) have been made over and over and I would think that you know that.

Message 8 of 16
bobvdd

I propose we will  leave it then n the hands of whoever you made these request(s) before 🙂

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

@bobvdd wrote:

I propose we will  leave it then n the hands of whoever you made these request(s) before 🙂

Bob

I (and others) made those requests to Autodesk on this forum, through AUGI, and via the link you listed above, most likely several times. These are the channels Autodesk representatives have suggested, but it seems that Autodesk (and yourself) does not take these things seriously. And that's kind of a slap in the face to folks like myself who are supportive of your company and give our time to help it make a better product.

At this point I have to conclude that you just replied here to be condescending and not helpful. I'm quite disappointed in you for that. You've always seemed very helpful in the past. Maybe you're just having a bad day??? Either way it reflects poorly on you and the company you work for. I think I see why others who have contributed so much to Inventor in the past, seldom frequent these forums any more.

Message 10 of 16
bobvdd

Yes I have a bad day. Can we leave it at that?

You are doing a tremendous good job on this NG yourself.
I would not want to put that in question a single bit.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 11 of 16
SBix26

I would very much appreciate such an option.  We use the Part Number iProperty for the part number (surprise!!), and do not at all appreciate the file name jumping in there at odd moments.  It is most noticeable when using Design Assistant to copy/rename files, requiring a RMB > Reset on the Part Number for each renamed file to make it keep the previously assigned Part Number.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Yep, that is exactly this issue with using iLogic as a fix for all of these things:

those odd moments where some other workflow doesn't interact with the iLogic rule.

It seems Bob's bad day likely prevented any investigation into a possible reg key, as he's the one that usaully uncovers such a thing. But a reg key was kind of long shot anyway. Oh well!

Message 13 of 16
dan_inv09

Maybe there is a list somewhere of all the registry keys and what they control.

And maybe someday someone could accidentally leave it laying out where someone else could accidentally see it, or maybe, whoops, it accidentally fell on the scanner, and I accidentally pushed the scan button. And, well, I was trying to get it out but all that happened was I accidentally turned the page and bumped the button again, a couple of times. You know, accidentally.

Maybe the people over in the customization forums would have more luck getting their hands on such a list?

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: dan_inv09

dan,

the scarecrow and piebald monkey will be on the train.

thanks!

Message 15 of 16
jaskiratVPK8U
in reply to: mflayler

Hi 

Thank you for the reply on this. 

I have another question, can we keep part number linked to file number but dynamically and without file extension? I want part number to update with file name (without extension) as I want to use automatic part numbering (random numbers) through vault.

Message 16 of 16
SBix26
in reply to: jaskiratVPK8U

@jaskiratVPK8U This is an 8-1/2 year-old conversation, and you're introducing a new question.  I'd strongly recommend you start a new topic with your question.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report