Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off angular dimension extension line intersection point

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dwenteiii
826 Views, 7 Replies

Turn off angular dimension extension line intersection point

I'm creating a drawing with draft angles.  When placing an angular dimension, the point of intersection of the two extension lines is very far off the drawing sheet after hitting zoom-all (double mouse wheel click).  It's a bit annoying as normally zoom-all places the sheet right in the center of the screen. 

Also, the annotation settings are a bit ridiculous since the Styles Editor is the main place for editing dimensions.  One must edit their preferences in Styles Editor, and continuously click the dropdown in the format tab of the ribbon any time they exit the dimension command.  As one who doesn't always run through every single dimension needed at once, it's much more frustrating than it used to be.  One would set dimension style, and they were done.  I feel like the format tab needs a toggle for the annotation settings instead of resetting every time you need to make an adjustment elsewhere.
-end petty rant
But really, is there a way to turn off angular extension line intersections for the drawing sheet?

Intersection Nonsense.JPG

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Inventor Professional 2017
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jhackney1972
in reply to: dwenteiii

You do not mention what Inventor version you are using.  I  reconstruct your situation and then performed a "Zoom All" by command and by double clicking the middle mouse button but I could not replicate your issue.  I do not know of a setting that controls this problem.  Please take a look at the screencast.  Also attach your part and drawing so I can try it out for myself.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 8
swalton

@dwenteiii wrote:

Also, the annotation settings are a bit ridiculous since the Styles Editor is the main place for editing dimensions.  One must edit their preferences in Styles Editor, and continuously click the dropdown in the format tab of the ribbon any time they exit the dimension command.  As one who doesn't always run through every single dimension needed at once, it's much more frustrating than it used to be.  One would set dimension style, and they were done.  I feel like the format tab needs a toggle for the annotation settings instead of resetting every time you need to make an adjustment elsewhere.
-end petty rant

This won't solve everything, but you might try changing the Default Object Style setting on the Drawing Tab of the Application Options window.  The default "By Standard" will change the object style to the default listed in the style library.  If you change it to last used, it will remember any changes as you start and stop a command in the same session.

see: 

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-89B9276B-D664-4959-B81E-431A4831BD4D

2018-06-27 14_52_50-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018 - [My Home].png

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 4 of 8
blair
in reply to: swalton

Try changing the selection order of the edges/sides you are trying to dimension. You can always create a sketch within the drawing view and project the sides and then add additional "lines" and then dimension to these. It won't project the extension lines when working with small angles.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not look right to me. Could you share an example of this behavior? I would like to understand why the point is located outside of the sheet.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8
dwenteiii
in reply to: jhackney1972

Signature updated.  I'm using Inventor Professional 2017.  I'm not sure if there's a command in application options to ignore annotation in zoom window or not.  That would be the solution to my problem.  I'm not good with pack & go, not sure which settings I do or don't need to checkbox for proper export.

@jhackney1972 wrote:

You do not mention what Inventor version you are using.  I  reconstruct your situation and then performed a "Zoom All" by command and by double clicking the middle mouse button but I could not replicate your issue.  I do not know of a setting that controls this problem.  Please take a look at the screencast.  Also attach your part and drawing so I can try it out for myself.

Message 7 of 8
dwenteiii
in reply to: swalton

That's exactly what I needed!  Much appreciated.

@swalton wrote:

@dwenteiii wrote:

-end petty rant

This won't solve everything, but you might try changing the Default Object Style setting on the Drawing Tab of the Application Options window.  The default "By Standard" will change the object style to the default listed in the style library.  If you change it to last used, it will remember any changes as you start and stop a command in the same session.

Message 8 of 8
dwenteiii
in reply to: blair

Ended up with the same result in zoom(all) command.  Extension line intersection is still referenced in the command.

@blair wrote:

Try changing the selection order of the edges/sides you are trying to dimension. You can always create a sketch within the drawing view and project the sides and then add additional "lines" and then dimension to these. It won't project the extension lines when working with small angles.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report