Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with idw sketch with hatch pattern not showing up after finishing the sketch

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Scottyos
508 Views, 2 Replies

Trouble with idw sketch with hatch pattern not showing up after finishing the sketch

Good afternoon,

I'm working on a project for my company. We recently had our draftsman move away so I'm filling in for the time being. I've had a look around using search but haven't found anything that really has helped me out.

My predicament. The part we are doing a drawing for is machined barstock and we are looking to add overlay to the tapered end. Right now I have the model built of a few parts (ipt) then have an assembly (iam) used for the base view of the drawing (idw). What I'd like to do is add a sketch to the view on the drawing where i can take the project geometry and offset that to create a closed area that I can add a hatch pattern too then just note what the overlay would be. For some reason when I'm creating the sketch I can get the sketch/hatch pattern with no issue but when I click complete sketch the sketch disappears from the drawing itself. I've added a screenshot to show what the drawing looks like when edit sketch is open and when it's finished.

I believe this is how our previous draftsman has tackled this issue however I'm having trouble replicating it. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. I had applied a bit of a band aid fix to this having created an additional part to the assembly as the overlay itself, however it would be nice if I could just add the hatched pattern to the drawing. If it makes any difference I'm using 2020 professional. I feel like this will be something so simple that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Scottyos

Hi! The only logical reason I can think of is that the Sketch Geometry Layer was turned off. But, the Hatch should stay unless it was also off.

Please share the files here. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
Scottyos
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I had checked the layer settings as you had mentioned to turn everything on, and everything was on by default. I also figured if you said everything should be fine the way it is I had tried a sketch/hatch on a different section view and it had showed up how I had hoped. I had redrawn the original hatch patterns in a different sketch and they seem to be sticking around. Still not sure why the first sketch I had them in didn't have them showing up but it seems like the new sketch I had done fixed things.

Thanks for the reply though it did steer me in the correct direction to solve this!

-Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report