Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with certification pre-test

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Nhouse1185H6ZG
254 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble with certification pre-test

Hello, I'm very sorry if this is taboo, but I'm really trying to understand this one question on the Inventor certification pre-test.

Attached is an image of the question. I'm very much inclined to believe the answer is "WIDTH / 4". In fact I don't see how you can relate "SPACE" to "WIDTH" without using the variable "WIDTH".

Despite this, the website says the correct answer is "d4".

Can someone explain what I'm missing, please?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CGBenner
in reply to: Nhouse1185H6ZG

@Nhouse1185H6ZG 

Welcome to the forum.  I'm not 100% certain, but just from a quick glance my take is that since d4 has already been defined, setting the subject dimension to be equal to d4 would ensure equal spacing from the outer edge on both sides of the part.  

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 12
NigelHay

D4 & D5 are constants so the spacing will not change with a width change.

WIDTH/4 will place one hole on the R.H. edge of the rectangle.

WIDTH/5 will keep the spacing between the holes & hole to edge distance the same & a function of the width.

I agree that the question seems to be badly worded.

Message 4 of 12
blandb

D4

You can test this because if your first dim is "SPACE" then you set the next values equal to space, when you try to place the D4 dim, it will give a references dimension. Then when you edit "SPACE" and make it equal to D4, then all values space out.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 12
SBix26

Once the SPACE parameter is set equal to d4, the WIDTH is included implicitly, because SPACE + d1 + d2 + d3 + d4 is equal to WIDTH.  There is no need to create an equation that explicitly includes WIDTH when it is included by definition.

Do you have a copy of Inventor available to use?  If so, the easiest way to persuade yourself is simply to create the sketch as shown and try it out.

SBix26_0-1720645470630.png

I will say that this is not a technique that I would ever recommend, but it does illustrate the point that you have asked about.  All the spaces could have been set equal to WIDTH / 5 ul, but it is not necessary to do so, as you can see.

Another method would be to use construction geometry to create the necessary constraints:

SBix26_1-1720645777692.png

Here again there is no explicit use of the WIDTH parameter, and this time not even dimensions-- the construction lines (five individual lines) are set equal to each other.

Hope this helps,

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.0.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 6 of 12
CGBenner

I love this exchange of ideas and techniques!  Only.... now I think I need to create this in Inventor myself and play with it.  Darn.  😁

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 7 of 12

D4 is the answer as all the other dimensions reference 'Space'

You can also use process of elimination. 
It can't be 'Space*5' because the value would reference itself. 

d5 is the vertical distance so this is also wrong

WIDTH/4 as mentioned above is also wrong because it needs 5 dimensions not 4. 

This is technique that I used all the time in industry, but I think maybe the word 'Space' confuses the question as you don't really need to define a parameter name for this.

I think you could also use d4 = Space too.  I think the idea is to make sure you understand how things reference each other and make you actually solve a problem instead of just remembering where a command is located. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 8 of 12

Thank you so much for your response! This makes sense now, I appreciate it!

Message 9 of 12
Nhouse1185H6ZG
in reply to: CGBenner

Thank you for the warm welcome! And from all the help I've received from the forum, I can say you were right on the money with your initial thoughts. Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
Nhouse1185H6ZG
in reply to: NigelHay

Right? Threw me for a loop. Thank you for your response!

Message 11 of 12
Nhouse1185H6ZG
in reply to: SBix26

It sure does! Thank you very much!

Message 12 of 12
Nhouse1185H6ZG
in reply to: CGBenner

Haha, always a fun time 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report