Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transition from Inventor 2020 to 2021

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mat_hijs
2750 Views, 6 Replies

Transition from Inventor 2020 to 2021

The company I work for just prepared the installations for the Autodesk programs we're using. (AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor,...) Nobody's forcing anyone to install them, and honestly, nobody's really concerned about it. For AutoCAD, this isn't really a problem. For Revit, not so much either, because everything's kept in one file so the projects that are running already just stay in the current version, new projects are made in the new version. Also, we only have one person who makes the Revit models, the rest pretty much only uses it to view or measure things.

For Inventor, it's a little in between, there's multiple people using it (normally 3 people, sometimes more), and unlike Revit, there's a bunch of files. Worth noting, we don't use project files. Our projects usually take months, sometimes a year, and occasionally even multiple years.

My question is, when and how should we make the transition from Inventor 2020 to 2021 so it will go smoothly? How do other companies or people do this? What are things to look out for?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: mat_hijs

Do you use Vault?

Really no reason you can't just install 2021 on everyones computers and just go.. 

I usually make sure I've applied any updated drivers/Windows updates,etc.. prior to installing Inventor..

And of course make sure you have created backups of ALL your files to fall back to should something happen. 

Backups of design data stuff,etc... 

You can choose to migrate using task scheduler,etc.. or just migrate on the fly as you open/access files. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
mat_hijs
in reply to: mcgyvr

We don't use Vault. So what you're saying is basically, as long as everyone installs 2021 it shouldn't be a problem? Assuming this is so there won't be people who can't open files made in 2021 because they still have 2020?

Message 4 of 7
Cadmanto

What I have experienced when there is a department or group of users using the software, in this case Inventor, an email gets sent out setting a target date for the install.  This way everyone has the chance to get them selves ready for the upgrade.  You cannot have some on 2020 and others on 2021 unless the two groups are not using each others model files, if that is the case, then there is no problem.  Sounds like your group is sharing files in which case all need to be upgraded at once.  Or else there will be the issue where some cannot open the files created or upgraded to 2021.

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 7
mslosar
in reply to: Cadmanto

Inventor has an new file format each version, so you do need to keep everyone on the same page.

As noted above,  you should send an email that we're installing 2021s on this date. After that, you need to be using 2021 and go forward.

Keep in mind any libraries, custom content center files, templates, etc need migrated to the newer version as well. Most things get migrated themselves on the next open/save process you make. But you'll have to reach out to templates, and things like content center.

It's not that big a deal. I'm going to be doing it for 2019->2021 in the near future. 

If people are keeping templates and/or library and or content center files on their machines, they need to migrate their stuff as well.

Message 6 of 7
mat_hijs

I have been using lots of Ilogic driven components lately, would this be a problem? Will they still work as they did in Inventor 2020? Or is it possible that they'll break?

Message 7 of 7
P_Korgaonkar

Hello There

I have been using inventor since version 4.

In the past we had an Autodesk dealer who used to advise us when it is safer to switch.

Its my experience that switching before first service pack is out, causes lot of issues and down time.

This time I have switched to 2021 after update 1 is released, I thought it would be pretty safe, but I am facing few issues, and I think it would be wise to wait for another update to come out. This is my experience, so I suggest don't just go on one persons of opinion!

Regards and all the best.

Parag

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report