Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer collision tool numbers to the extrude tool

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
490 Views, 9 Replies

Transfer collision tool numbers to the extrude tool

I want to create notch in a piece many times so that other pieces can fit there, is there a way instead of measuring each piece and creating an extrusion that way to instead use the collision tool and transfer those numbers to the extrusion tool and have it more accurate?

thanks so much!

Jessica

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

There might be any even easier (and fully associative) technique.

Can you post the file(s) or at least an image?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

This isn't for a specific project, more of a general question since I would use it for almost all of my projects. I use this program to create wood cabinets that we build. So I would use it if I had metal countertop support brackets and I needed to cut them into a wood panel, or other situations like that.
Message 4 of 10
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Unless I'm reading your requirements wrong..   I would assume creating Inventor iFeatures (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-26129698-1C1C-482F-A2ED-673563331283-htm.html) would be what you're looking for.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

no, sorry that is not what I need. I need a tool that will allow me to use some kind of measuring tool (such as the collision tool, that measures how much something is colliding) and transfer that information to some kind of cutting tool (such as the extrude tool), to cut extrude the piece that another piece will lay in.
Message 6 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:
no, sorry that is not what I need. I need a tool that will allow me to use some kind of measuring tool (such as the collision tool, that measures how much something is colliding) and transfer that information to some kind of cutting tool (such as the extrude tool), to cut extrude the piece that another piece will lay in.

Sure.. there are methods to achieve that in Inventor..

First is to simply edit the part at the assembly level and project the edges from the colliding part to a new sketch then offset (to add some "slack" as real would you would never make a cutout for a 1" block be exactly 1"... tolerances/fits are part of life)

Are you familiar with doing that in Inventor?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

island supports.JPG

yes, I have used that for simple shapes but I recently created a very intricate countertop support system (photo above) that needed pieces to fit with each other (yes i agree with your comment about tolerances) that would not work with projecting geometry. They are at weird angles, the slots in the middle are notches for metal supports, and there are other weird notches as well that took forever since we had to measure each support and then make the notch.  

Do you have any other suggestions for a very intricate and detailed assembly with many parts to it?

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

Two techniques that I use.

1. Mutli-body solids

or

2. In context editing Copy Object as surface and Sculpt or Split.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 10
catot

For something like this, I would use Multi-Body modelling technique, modelling most solid bodies in a single part file.

Then it's easy to use Combine to adapt solids to another.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

To add clearances afterwards, you can use the Thicken-command.

And Make Components can be used to make the assembly, so you get a single part for each solid body.

That's how I would have approached this.

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have any other suggestions for a very intricate and detailed assembly with many parts to it?

The same process is used for simple or complex needs.. One just requires more work than the other..

Based on what I see I would still use part level edits at the assembly level and projected geometry.. or the copy object as stated by JD..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report