Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailing zeros on Parts List is not working

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Filipe.Everly
589 Views, 6 Replies

Trailing zeros on Parts List is not working

Hey all !

In the attached pics you see my Format Column configuration and the Parts List itself.

Seems that "Trailing Zeros" and the "Precision" selected was not applied properly (see the highlighted numbers on Parts List).

Did I select something wrong at the Format Column ?

I'm using Inventor 2018.

Thanks !

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi! Filipe,

It is possibly a bug or it is how the custom iProperty is formatted. I assume P.Unit is a custom iProperty, right? Is it text based or number based property? Was it an exported parameter, formatted in Parameters dialog? If you could isolate the dataset and share it, it will be very helpful to understand the behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7

Hi Johnson!

I assume P.Unit is a custom iProperty, right?

It is just a User Properties in the Part List. I create it to show the mass of one component and not the sum of total items = MASS, that I renamed to P.TOTAL.

image.png

Is it text based or number based property?

It should be number based, but there is no option on the "Define New Property" box. Probably the default is text based.

How do I change it to number based?

image.png

Was it an exported parameter, formatted in Parameters dialog?

No. It was created directly on the Part List Column Chooser >> New Property and I used the Substitution to show only the mass of a single component (First Value).

image.png

If you could isolate the dataset and share it, it will be very helpful to understand the behavior.

Sure!! How do I "isolate" it?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 7

Hi Filipe,

Many thanks for the information! I think have better understanding now. Could you post the assembly with just one part having the same properties? I should be able to figure out where the problem is.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7

@johnsonshiue, let me know if these files are enough.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 7

Hi Filipe,

I took a look at the files. You are talking about P.UNIT. = 1,2 kg but the precision is set to .000, right? It does look like a bug or a glitch to me. But, I am able to make it in sync by doing the following.

1) Edit the partslist.

2) Right-click on P.UNIT. header -> Format Column -> Substitution.

3) Click on No Value Substitution -> Apply.

4) Click on Enable Value Substitution -> select "P.TOTAL" and "First Value" -> Apply.

Basically redo the value substitution. These steps should not be necessary. For some reason, the format and the value substitution become stale or something. If you know the exact steps leading to the behavior, please let me know asap.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Oh yes.... I knew that, but I forgot to mention. It corrects the precision (.000) but also include the mass unit that I don't want.

I noticed few things that may help us to discover what is happening.

1. In Substitution tab > Select "Use Default Formatting":

in this way, Column Format tab options are completelly "ignored", it means, even with the Apply Units Formatting, Trailing Zeros and Leading Zeros selected, it doesn't change the formatting of the values in the Parts List.

• Where the Default Formatting shown at Substitution tab are setup? Maybe from the iProperty mass from model?
  • How I change the Type of the P.UNIT. from Text to Numeric?

2. In Substitution tab > Select "Apply Units Formatting" > Precision 3,123 and Unit String unselected:

Unit is not shown but there is no option of trailing zeros on Substitution tab

Therefore, a solution might be add the Trailing Zeros and Leading Zeros buttom on Substitution tab?

Or maybe changing the command hierarchy, it means, the Column Format selections should always "overwrite" the selections done on Substitution tab.

3. Workaround that works:

I changed the MASS parameter to P.UNIT. (Numeric Type) so it shows on the Parts List without any Substitution. In this way, the Apply Units Formatting works properly in the Column Format tab.

The P. TOTAL became the "User Properties" and I used the Substitution to how the Sum of P.UNIT as P. TOTAL. In this way, the Apply Units Formatting works properly in the Substitution tab.

Maybe the way it was before created a kind of "circular reference" of the Default Formatting. Below the new configuration that fix the issue.

Sem título.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report