Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torus model

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
FabianaBBUSCK
261 Views, 17 Replies

Torus model

Hi everyone!

I have recently started using Inventor, and I have been mostly modifying existing parts (modelled by other people)  to match the changes my company needs.

I have also managed to start a part from scratch and develop it to the level of detail I see on the models I already have handy on my company's library. I think it is a quick way of learning the software for someone with no previous experience like me.

But now I have a challenge: There is a Torus item that was developed by a 3rd party, and they did not use Inventor to make it. They sent me a .STEP file that I can load into Inventor, but there's no way (or it exceeds my poor knowledge) to change parts of this piece.

Therefore, I have two options:

1.  To "convert" the .STEP file into a fully functional Inventor model. Can this be done?

2. To start the Torus from scratch, which it's my preferred one, but due to the time limitations I have and my knowledge being far from good, I can't seem to be able to do it. Which tools and steps would you use to recreate a complex model such as the attached one, in the most accurate way possible?

The way I started was by creating an Inventor drawing which I was using to get all the dimensions I need to recreate the part, but like I said, it turned a bit complicated for me.

I would appreciate any idea on how to accomplish any of the two options.

Cheers, 

Fabi

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
blandb
in reply to: FabianaBBUSCK

step file aka "dumb base solid"..No features.  There is this tool you could try:

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=9172877436288348979&appLang=en&os=Win64 

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 18

Ad2: look at the geometry and write down on a piece of paper what simple elements this geometry consists of in turn. Note - you can't think about Inventor (or any other program). Forget about modeling - just think about it and write down on a piece of paper what solids (or their fragments) you see in this file. 

Only once you have listed all the components, start thinking about how to make the individual features in Inventor. This is not complex geometry. This is a large number of simple geometries in one file (Extrude, Revolve, Hole, Fillet).

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 18

Hi! This part should not be too difficult to model (close to 95% fidelity). From a 3D feature-based parametric modeling perspective, one should remove as much detail (fillets, holes, markings) as possible to begin with, regardless of the CAD tool.

It should start with a hollowed torus. The lower portion does not look like a precise torus. It might be a revolved spline or some sort. The pocket in the middle looks like a triangular extrusion cut. Then more fillets were added afterwards. My estimate is that this part could be done within 20~30 features. It is not trivial but it should be highly doable in any 3D solid modeling CAD system like Inventor and Fusion.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 18
chris

@FabianaBBUSCK Were you able to figure out how to model this part?

Message 6 of 18

Thanks for your input! Will give it one more go using your suggestons 🙂
Message 7 of 18

Hi there! Have tried and not succeeded due to lack of knowledge and time, plus I have to take care of other projects.
I know I can get a similar looking torus if I spend more time working on it and researching the ideal tools to do it, but my main concern is that the object has to be exactly the same, it can't be just "alike" as it has already gone through a design process, and it has specific features I have to mimic 100%
That's my challenge 🙂
Message 8 of 18

But you got the list of tools in my post. You don't have to look for them anymore. You do have to identify where these operations occur on the model.
And as for accuracy, it's enough to use the measurement tools to define the parameters as in the original.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 9 of 18
blandb

Are you are hoping that someone will do it for you? If so, remember we have our own jobs and we are not getting paid to do your work... Just please keep that in mind. Yes, on little things we can easily whip out a solution, or make our own representation, but to take the time and digest and spend the time to do a complete re-design will likely not happen, unless someone just wants to lol.

Can you not reach out to the previous group and get the actual model. Then, if say it was done in XYZ software, get a trial software, then recreate it step by step? Maybe XYZ software doesn't have a trial version though.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 10 of 18
SBix26

The STEP file you posted says it was created by Pro/E.  I did some measuring in the model and found that it will be very difficult to re-create-- edges and faces that I would expect to be circular are not, so to reproduce it exactly will be a very, very tedious and time-consuming task!

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025.1 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 11 of 18

Yes, thank you for that.
I have tried the tools you suggested and the model is still not accurate enough.
Anyway, your approach was helpful to me and I will consider it for any future projects, thank you!
Message 12 of 18

Until we know where you stand and what you are struggling with, we cannot help you.

If you want further advice, you need to be specific.

What have you done? Where have you stopped? What are you thinking about? What are you considering and planning?

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 13 of 18
FabianaBBUSCK
in reply to: blandb

Not at any point I said or implied I hoped for someone to do it for me.
I was hoping to get creative and helpful ideas on how to make it from scratch myself from scratch, which I did. Unfortunately I did not succeed 100%, as the part is too complicated for me to reproduce with the current software/knowledge combo I have... that doesn't mean I would like for someone else to do my job for me.

I did reach out to the previous group to get the original files, they are of x_t parasolid type. So I went ahead and got me a software that can work with this type of file.
Thanks for your suggestion
Message 14 of 18
FabianaBBUSCK
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for taking the time to do that Sam!
As you said, trying to reproduce it exactly was proving to be very difficult using Inventor, so I got the original x_t parasolid file, and I will be working with a different software from now on.
I will accept this as the solution, as it was the most helpful answer of them all, because it helped me decide once and for all to stop trying to recreate the piece on Inventor. This way I can get the job done quicker and with more accuracy.
And the next torus I have to design will prove easier, for sure 🙂
Message 15 of 18

From the marking on the part, it is a lifting device "WLL 10T".

Any modification, change will require PEng certification.  Or else if it fail, you will be responsible.

What do you want to change?

Message 16 of 18

Exactly, this is a lifting device. Hence my concern about getting the piece to be a perfect match to the existing one, because it has already gone through rigorous design process.
The modification I was trying to achieve had been checked and designed by a panel of engineers, and the final piece I produce will have to go through a testing process and comply with safety and quality standards once manufactured.

Message 17 of 18

Don't think you can make a "perfect" match" since the model is not "perfect".

Make drawing from the model and check all the dimensions.

10T-Torus-01.jpg

Message 18 of 18

Yes! Those "imperfections" where an issue I was trying to resolve, but I had to start from the original file and them
Luckily I got the original file now and I will resolve the issues with another software.

Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report