Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Threaded hole anomaly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
The_Angry_Elf
357 Views, 6 Replies

Threaded hole anomaly

Here's one for the masses.

On 2014 if you have a solid bar and you create a hole feature from the center plane and extrude it outward in one direction,

When you create the view on the drawing, the dashed lines representing the threads "split off" and go in opposite directions.

(see pic below)

HolePartError.PNGHolePartError-Model.PNG

Granted, I know one can't drill a hole in a solid or even a tube from the center outwards, but this is how some of the designers have created their parts.

If the holes are done correctly by creating a tangent plane on the outside and drilling inward as you would do in the real world, no issues.

Just need to break the bad habits here, but still, I'd like an explanation as to why Inventor has this error happen.

Just about to install 2017 and test it there, but again, I need to get them to change their bad habits as opposed to worrying about this little issue.

Just thought it was interesting.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@The_Angry_Elf

There was a posting about a month or so about an odd hole behavior and it was based on the "depth" option they used.  If possible can you share this part so it can be reviewed.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7

Mark,

That's the first thing I thought as the example they showed me had a depth to it.

But I can replicate it even with the "through all" setting active.

I can generate a quick easy part of such, but it might just be quicker for you to create it and see if you can replicate.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 4 of 7

Just in case, here are the files.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@The_Angry_Elf wrote:

... but this is how some of the designers have created their parts...

Ignoring the logic of impossible drilling direction - have the designers go out to the shop floor and discuss the issues of specifying bottom tapped holes with the machinists.

The machinists will set them straight on that in short order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

@The_Angry_Elf wrote:

, but still, I'd like an explanation as to why Inventor has this error happen.

Its was a bug..Stuff happens... Its works as expected in 2017 (latest updates)

carry on Smiley Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

LOL....I've already talked with the shop foreman, we're scheduling a "field trip" out there for the designers.

Problem is, one of the designers doing this, actually worked out there before he moved into the drafting department.

They all know it's not the correct way, it's just the easiest way for them to model. But after pointing out the effort they have to take to clean up the drawing and the possible risk of missing something, I'm hopeful they'll change their ways quickly.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report