Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text parameter in Content Center table

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
andrewiv
204 Views, 12 Replies

Text parameter in Content Center table

I'm trying to make a column on a custom content center part drive a text parameter in the created part, but it is not working.  I have the text parameter in the part and publish it to the content center, then create a column in my family table and set the data type to string, then in my family properties I map that column to the user text parameter.

andrewiv_2-1720206311040.png

It give me the error that the column type does not match the parameter type.  

andrewiv_0-1720206105291.png

When I generate a part from this family the values are not pushed to the parameter.

andrewiv_3-1720206432387.png

Is there something I'm missing here, or is this not possible?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
AMHumiston
in reply to: andrewiv

Good morning Andrew.

Would you attach the file you are creating the content center part from? this will allow me to recreate it quickly and see what you see.

look forward to helping you solve this.
Message 3 of 13
andrewiv
in reply to: AMHumiston

I think the issue is with any part that you are trying to push a text parameter to, but here is a test file that I'm having the issue with.  I took this file and published it and added one column and then mapped it to the test parameter.  The parameter doesn't update on standard or custom parts.

andrewiv_0-1720537763257.pngandrewiv_1-1720537787023.png

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 4 of 13
AMHumiston

thank you, i'll test this and get back to you with what i found

Message 5 of 13
AMHumiston

Andrew,

I did some testing, and you cannot drive a text parameter from an iProperty. such as you are exporting the value from your parameter list into an iproperty, this doesn't allow for you to change the iproperty and update the parameter.

Is there a reason you need the text as a parameter? We could map and set up a custom iproerty that would do the same thing.

please let me know your thoughts.

Message 6 of 13
andrewiv

I'm not trying to drive the parameter from the iProperty, it's the other way around.  I'm trying to drive the parameter from CC and then have it drive the iProperty.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 13
AMHumiston

I understand. that parameter is not changeable inside a CC part. Numeric parameters are changeable. that's why I was asking if you could skip the parameter part of this and just use a custom iproperty. that can house the data. why do you need a text based parameter?
Message 8 of 13
andrewiv

The issue comes from something that was set up in our templates and using parameters exported to iProperties.  After my original post, I did figure out that it works fine if I just drive the iProperty and delete or uncheck export on the parameter.  But I still think it is odd that we cannot drive a text parameter with the CC table.  I am able to get around it but there might be a legitimate reason why we would need the ability to modify a text parameter later.  If they cannot be driven by the table then that should be stated somewhere and it should not allow you to map a column to a text parameter.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 9 of 13
AMHumiston

i agree that is odd. i will send this up to Autodesk, and bring it to the attention of the neccarry people. do you want me to tag you in on the ticket?

Message 10 of 13
andrewiv

Sure, you can tag me in the ticket.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 11 of 13
andrewiv

@johnsonshiue were you aware of this limitation?  Is this an oversight, bug, as intended, or something else?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 12 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi Andrew,

Indeed, it is not a supported workflow. It was partially due to iPart not supporting text parameter either.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 13
andrewiv
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for confirming that.  I have added this to the idea station - https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/text-parameters-in-content-center/idi-p/12888854

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report