Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Box Border to Adjust to Contents?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1778 Views, 9 Replies

Text Box Border to Adjust to Contents?

Drawing environment, Inventor 2018

Trying to add a text box with a border for drawing notes. Each drawing will have a different number/length of notes, it would be nice to have a border around the notes section that will adjust with the contents. 

So far I have found that it's possible to add a "Text Box" border around the text in the "Format text" dialog box, and it generates a border but the border does not resize if text is changed dramatically.

What do you guys do to circumvent this lack of functionality?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Seth,

It should work. It sounds like you are seeing a bug here. Could you share an example exhibiting the non-conforming behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hey @johnsonshiue, here are some screen casts of the behavior. 

I tried to recreate the behavior inside a drawing and discovered that the "Text Box" option is perpetually unavailable. The first cast shows how the "Text Box" option is greyed out during normal text creation. Suggestions?

The second displays the "Text Box" feature inside a sketch creation environment, where I originally encountered the issue. 

Attempted 3 different ways:

1) Create text and choose the "Text Box" option during creation. The border ends up being a dashed yellow line that does not
adapt with text.

2) Create text, confirm, right-click and choose text box. The border is much more visible but still does not adapt with text changes

3) Create text, confirm, edit text, enable text box. Black border, but does not adapt.

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Seth,

I guess you click the wrong button. In the Text object (not the sketch text), there is an 'A' button in the middle at the bottom. Click it and you will see there is another button with a border. This is how you enable "bordered" text.

Could you try it and see if it works for you?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

I'm not finding any icon like that, but sometimes I'm quite blind. Could you do a quick screencast? It would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 10
blandb

In your drawing Border or title block, once you place the text, use: Single Line Option and then you can activate the Fit Text Option. Make sure to show the text box if you want to dim where the text box will be.

Hope that helps.

Capture.JPG

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 7 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! In the first screen cast you recorded, it does show the button I was talking about. Watch the screencast @0:11. You will see a button labeled as 'A' in the middle. That is the button to control border text.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

@johnsonshiue Aah, I see. Using that button does work when creating a text box in a drawing, but the button is not there when creating a symbol, which is where it's needed.

Creating text in a drawing and creating text while defining a symbol both require the "Format Text" dialog box. Perhaps making the button available in while in the symbol editor could easily be added?

In the mean time, any suggestions on achieving the same functionality?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: blandb

@blandb Hi there, thanks for the feedback. In the linked screencasts, neither example is editing a title block or border, and the examples are multiple lines tall.

Do you have a way to apply single line+fit in a manner such that it could be extended to multi-line symbols?

Message 10 of 10
blandb

Unfortunately I think it is only a single line function.

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report