Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep options

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
baliasM74U3
503 Views, 10 Replies

Sweep options

Hi Experts 

INV 2020

How can I fill the space highlighted in the attached image 1 ? 

I applied shell to make 2.5 thick material, how can I delete the high lighted portion in image 2.

Not sure which question should have been asked first, but hope my requirement is clear.

Part attached

baliasM74U3_1-1622031513094.png

baliasM74U3_2-1622032006668.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

If I understand correctly you want it like this?

I added an extrusion between the sweep and shell command. You can see it in the attached ipt

Screenshot-000050-2021_05_26__48_45.png

Screenshot-000051-2021_05_26__49_03.png

I noticed you saved this as a sheetmetal part. Be aware this part will not create a flat pattern and is not strictly sheet metal.

Kind regards,

Alexander Boogaard

Kind regards,
Alexander Boogaard
Message 3 of 11
gmwi
in reply to: baliasM74U3

You just need to select the inner surface on the "Remove Faces" command. alexander , is correct this is a stamp part.

Sweep qurkison.jpg

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Alexander is right. The reason why the sweep faces cannot be re-intersected is because of the type. The surface is spline-torus. The extension of the torus is going inward, not straight. In your case, the desirable extension is straight.

Unfortunately, Inventor is not that smart to tell straight is the desirable outcome. So, you need to provide the straight extrusion (Extrude or Thicken). After that, the faces can be re-intersected properly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11
baliasM74U3
in reply to: gmwi

Delete face worked.

@alexanderboogaard I understood the extrude feature way of doing this.

Just wondering is there any other approach of doing it in the model I have attached here to fill the void homogeneously. Extrude is giving a flat surface at the center.

I am looking for a shape like "A", at the moment we can acheive only shape "B".

baliasM74U3_0-1622283482204.png

Message 6 of 11
baliasM74U3
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue Can you have a look why delete face (exactly the same thing you did) is not working in the attached model.

What is the significance of "thicken" here .

The delete face doesnt work "automatic blending"

baliasM74U3_0-1622284606251.png

baliasM74U3_1-1622285496111.png

Message 7 of 11
baliasM74U3

Can I remove the highlighted lines that represents the shape transition from the attached model ?

baliasM74U3_3-1622286872294.png

baliasM74U3_4-1622286995626.png

Message 8 of 11
gmwi

Change you view Style to shaded w/o edges.edge removal.JPG

Message 9 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! "Auto-Blending" option operates more like Move Face or Extend. It tries to extend or contract the selected face and the adjacent faces re-intersect accordingly. The regular Thicken (Auto-Blending off) is offsetting. It protrude the face in the normal direction and the side faces are created accordingly.

In this case, the face is an ellipse. The extension will not be linear as you wish. As a result, it can fail on intersect.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 11
baliasM74U3
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue 

Why do we need to thicken the face to make delete face work ? Or why does the delete face option doesnt work without thickening the face ?

Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! First of all, Inventor is not as smart as it seems. In this case, the side adjacent faces are ellipse. When you delete the planar face, the side elliptical faces will extend and re-intersect. However, there is no intersection with the extended ellipse.

I believe your design intent it to have the side faces extend linearly (tangentially). That is not how it works in this case. As a result, Thicken is needed here to provide the linear (tangential extension). After that, the Delete Face will work.

This is indeed a tricky case, because you will need to know how the faces intersect and how the Delete Face works.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report