Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stress analysis on imported part

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
684 Views, 10 Replies

stress analysis on imported part

Hi,

Im trying to do (and experimenting with) a stress analysis. I have some basic frame parts simulating the base frame, the frame parts i am running the test for, and an imported part (pump) i am attempting to use as weight.

See the attached image:

Capture.JPG

Black for weight,

Blue for basic frame parts,

Red for frame parts i attempt to analyse.

When i prep for running the test the mesh fails to create on the imported part (pump). It is a solid, but also a rather complicated shape in comparison to the frame parts. The pump also does have a given mass on the physical tab in its iproperties.

Capture2.JPG

In my head this would be solved by somehow making the pump a rigid, non-deforming body with mass. Hoping it can just exert its weight on the frame parts its standing on so i can test it somehow.

If anybody has an idea how i could make this happen or knows a better way to analyse the frame parts, let me know!

--> Mees

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you testing the pump or are you testing the frame?

Why do you even need the pump in the assembly?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I attempt to test the frame, by applying a gravitational force to the pump. I am not entirely sure how the "force" is applied when i place one with a force command on the top side of the frame parts. I'm guessing it wil evenly distribute the force across the entire surface, which means i get incorrect results.

The only reason to include the pump for this matter is because i think it will yield more accurate results, because of the contact area of the pump. If you have an idea how i might do it without pump, let me know!

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think overridden mass would be considered in FEA. It is because FEA deals with material properties and the geometry directly. The overridden mass is just an attribute. FEA does not use the value to compute.

If you have to force the mass, you will need to adjust material density so that the total mass becomes close to the overridden value.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11
S_May

Hi @Anonymous,

you write in the power of Analysis...

2018-01-16 10_24_21-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.png2018-01-16 10_24_44-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.png2018-01-16 10_25_16-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.png2018-01-16 10_28_37-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2018.png

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

Spit face for area of contact. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

This is 100% true and very important to consider.  I've discovered this the hard way....The over-ridden mass of a part will NOT carry over to an FEA when a gravity load is applied.  For example, if you were to force the part to weigh 20,000 lbs. and apply a gravity load, the load will not be as expected.  Instead, it will behave as if no over-ridden value was applied (ie, the mass of the part prior to you manually entering a value). As @johnsonshiue has mentioned, you need to create a custom material with a very high density to get close to the weight you require prior to applying gravity. 

Message 8 of 11
Frederick_Law

You can use a very high strength material for the pump, ie ceramic or create a new material.

Instead of using gravity, apply a load on top of the pump for the weight you need.

As long as the pump doesn't deform, load on the frame will be good.

Another way is model the contact pads from pump to frame and apply load on them.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Frederick_Law

I am going to use this work around. I had hoped there would be a different way to do it, but alas. 

Thanks to all of you for the information on how the inventor FEA works!

Greetings,

Mees

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... I had hoped there would be a different way to do it, but alas. 

You will be meshing geometry that you do not need in the analysis.

This is not the correct way. 

There is a better way.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

i didnt mean i"m going to mesh the entire pump, ill probably make a very rigid surface and apply a load on top of it equal to the pump's weight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report