Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.stp file coming in weird

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
scoopthepoop2000
204 Views, 4 Replies

.stp file coming in weird

I am using IV 2019. I was given a .stp file. When I open the file all the parts are see through. How do I change this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: scoopthepoop2000

Totally normal.. Its likely just surfaces..

Step file doesn't always equal solid models..

There are options to stitch during import or right click on it and turn off transparency to look more like a solid.. Just depends on your needs..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
Cadmanto
in reply to: scoopthepoop2000

I agree with  @mcgyvr .  Sounds like you have a model with nothing more then surfaces.

Below is a thread that might help you in converting it into solid geometry.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/surface-models-convert-to-solids/td-p/3452492 

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 5
scoopthepoop2000
in reply to: mcgyvr

I figured it out. The parts were models. The appearance for the parts are all set tp transparency. It looks like I need to go through all the parts and use the appearance editor for each one and uncheck the transparency box.

Message 5 of 5

Hi! Another way to solve it is to reset the TRANSPARENT flag in the STEP file. Make a copy of the STEP file. Use a text editor to open the STEP file and find "TRANSPARENT" keyword. You will see the value associated with it is probably '1'. Change all occurrences to zero. Save the STEP file. Now it should import without transparency.

Where did you get the STEP file? What system was it exported from?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report