Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock item number to sheet metal thickness

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sbromley
654 Views, 5 Replies

Stock item number to sheet metal thickness

My company uses a particular "Stock Number" for each particular material. I's a 9 digit number.

I can add the individual numbers to the steel work members & tube & pipes but I was wondering if it was possible to somehow configure a particular sheet metal thickness & material type to add the stock number to the iproperties "Stock Number" box. A long shot I know.

Autocad Mechanical 2023
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
andrewiv
in reply to: sbromley

This could be done with iLogic.  I have actually been thinking about doing something very similar to this on the files at my work but I haven't had the time to get to it yet.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: sbromley

Hi! Yes, like Andrew mentioned, this can be done via iLogic. I believe it can also be done without using iLogic. Essentially, you will need to create a User Parameter, for example "Gauge", that equates to Thickness parameter (system parameter cannot be edited on Parameters dialog). Next, check Export box for the User Parameter. You can format the value to the precision and unit you like. Then in iProperty Stock Number field, you can add equation like the following.

= 1234<Gauge>

You can add any existing iProperty (custom, exported parameters) to the expression.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
sbromley
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue  Thanks, I'll look into this further when I get chance. Busy with production at the moment.

Autocad Mechanical 2023
Message 5 of 6

Has there ever been a resolution to this matter as I have come across a similar issue but instead of just material thickness (Gauge) it would also include material grade itself (i.e 304 or 316 stainless).

So as @johnsonshiue mentioned, something along the lines of, in my case, <Gauge>1234<Grade>.

Would love to know if someone has come up with a solution to this. Cheers!

Message 6 of 6
blandb
in reply to: ben_saundersHDKKB

Depending on how you call out your sheet metal rules, you can pull the rule name into the stock number by using:

=<Sheet Metal Rule>. So, if you identify your sheet metal rule as the 9-digit number, it should appear as needed.

blandb_0-1692019013739.png 

blandb_1-1692019021303.png

blandb_2-1692019026806.png

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report