Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL to IPT

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
vmontefusco
91362 Views, 24 Replies

STL to IPT

Greetings

I'm working in Inventor Pro 2018 and it is updated

I was sent me an STL part file and it opens OK in Inventor and I can move it around. Can I convert it to an IPT so I can tweak it?

Thanks

Vince

EFX Film & TV

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
BeKirra
in reply to: vmontefusco

Under the big "I", "Save As" is the command you should use.

HTH

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 25
vmontefusco
in reply to: BeKirra

Greetings

I did what you said and it converted to IPT but I can't edit it. See attached. I will ask Autodesk to jump in on this one if you can't figure out how I can edit the part like a normal IPT part.

Thanks

Vince

Message 4 of 25
johnsonshiue

Hi! If you are a subscriber, you can download Mesh Enabler from App store. It will convert the mesh to a composite node (each mesh face as a surface body). Then you can stitch it into a solid if the faces are water-tight. Please note that, the mesh edges will remain there. The topology will be necessarily complicated.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6950391119076900441&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Another option is to use Fit Mesh Face command to fit a Brep surface by selecting the mesh. This particular part looks relatively simple. You might be able to fit quite a few faces. Lastly, you can always recreate the body from scratch. You can create a sketch on a planar mesh face and project points for reference purpose. You can recreate the part relatively quickly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 25
vmontefusco
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Greetings Johnson

I downloaded like you suggested and followed the screen shot of R clicking on the mesh in the browser and I do not see the Convert to Base Feature in the list. I've attached the part I'd like to convert. Also, the 2017 reviews don't seem impressive. Hopefully, issues were fixed for the 2018 version I have.

Thank you!!!

Vince

Message 6 of 25
vmontefusco

Sorry forgot to attach Part.

Vince

Message 7 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

... Also, the 2017 reviews don't seem impressive. Hopefully, issues were fixed for the 2018 version I have.

Thank you!!!

Vince

What is the source of your information - please include url reference?

Exactly what "issues" are you referring to?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 25
vmontefusco
in reply to: JDMather

Message 9 of 25

@vmontefusco wrote:

Greetings Johnson

Also, the 2017 reviews don't seem impressive. Hopefully, issues were fixed for the 2018 version I have.

Thank you!!!

Vince

What issues are your referring to?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 10 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=6950391119076900441&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Scroll down to the reviews

Thank you

Vince

Ah, so you are referring to the Mesh Enabler, not Inventor.

I have never had trouble with the Mesh Enabler, but I have found that a significant set of users have no clue of the nature of stl files.

Stl files are simplified triangular faceted planar surfaces - generally of little use in an MCAD environment other than for 3D Printing.

The image/file you attached would be more useful models as proper parametric b-rep geometry.

Do you have the original file - or is the stl file someone else's work?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 25
vmontefusco

I have Inventor Pro 2018 subscription and was told I could download Mesh Enabler to convert STL files sent to me to IPT parts that I could tweak normally. The STL files sent to me are being used for 3D Printing. I now assume what I want to do can't be done??

Thanks

Vince

Message 12 of 25
vmontefusco

The STL file is from someone else. See attached.

Thanks

Vince

Message 13 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

....parts that I could tweak normally.

Thanks

Vince

What is the source of this information?

Sure you can edit the parts once you have run the Mesh Enabler to convert the surfaces to solid body - but have you closely examined an stl geometry?

Message 14 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

The STL file is from someone else. See attached.

Thanks

Vince

Is  there a reason that you have attached the same stl file here three times?

Message 15 of 25
vmontefusco

No, I thought you were asking for it. I see what I want to do is problematic, so I will just duplicate the STL's that are send to me. Some of the STL's are more complex, but I'll just have to adjust my schedule.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Vince

Message 16 of 25
JDMather

Cutting, for example - drilling holes) in a converted stl is not a big issue.

Adding geometry might not be a big issue.

But changing the size of existing geometry can be a big issue as your part consists of over 157 thousand individual faces.

If you were expecting a feature tree - you are only going to get a "dumb solid".

For freeform editing of stl mesh you can use another product - Mesh Mixer - but for the types of geometry that you posted it is far easier to remodel with primitives like cylinders and boxes.  Simple Revolves and Extrudes.

Message 17 of 25
vmontefusco

Sorry for basic responses, you are way above my pay scale!!  

I opened the part that I've attached (3x's) and tried to create hole using sketch on an an origin plane and it says it has no volume. I understand the mess volume thing, but how would I add features to it. I respect your time and if this is a major detail explanation, then I will live with the STL's and recreate them so I will have full control over there designs. 

Thanks again

Vince

Message 18 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

.. it says it has no volume. 

From your earlier responses it sounds like you never got the Mesh Enabler loaded properly.

Go to your Tools>Addins and make sure that it is loaded.

Then expand and right click on the MeshFeature node and select Convert to Base Feature (and select Solid Body).

Message 19 of 25
vmontefusco

I did what you suggested and it is now loaded and I see the Convert to Base Feature. It took a while to complete using the part I attached. Then I double clicked in the browser and a new set of tools appeared, not the usual look when you edit an extruded part. I will play around with it.

Thank you

Vince

Message 20 of 25
JDMather

@vmontefusco wrote:

I did what you suggested and it is now loaded and I see the Convert to Base Feature. It took a while to complete using the part I attached. Then I double clicked in the browser and a new set of tools appeared, not the usual look when you edit an extruded part. I will play around with it.

Thank you

Vince

I don't think you want to do that if you want access to the usual editing tools.

Sounds like you got into the reduced set Solid Edit tools.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report