Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.Step files Options box greyed out

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
7680 Views, 23 Replies

.Step files Options box greyed out

Been working in 2016 Inventor for a couple of days now. Everything is going pretty smooth except for one thing; The options button is greyed out when I go to open a .Step file. I see that the Import configuration has been changed from the 2015 version, but there are no options available in the new configuration that will allow me to either create an .ipt based on the .Step file or an .iam. The Options button in 2015 allowed me to decide whether I wanted to create an .ipt or an .Iam. All of the other import types seem to be fine and the Options button is not greyed out for them. It's just for the .Step files. The work-around I have been using is opening up an .ipt (if I don't want the import to create an .iam) and deriving the .Step file into the empty .ipt.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Check your add-in manager  (note I'm on an older version, but it all works the same)

go to your 2016 Inventor folder

see that you have them all on

save in.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

I have noticed this also, I think this is a bug.

Message 4 of 24
JDMather

I haven't installed 2016 yet, so I can't check, but do you have a file selected (in earlier releases the Options does not become available until a file is selected).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 24
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: JDMather

This is not a bug; there were considerable changes done to the way import options work as part of the "AnyCAD" project in 2016. If you use File Open or Import CAD files & pick the step file you will be presented with the current options dialog every time as opposed to selecting the Options button from the File Open dialog. You will be able to make various options changes there & also perform selective import so that you only import what you need.

If you want to bring a step file into a part file, you must first create a new part & then use the Import command, (on the Create tab). Change the filetype to All Files & open the step file. (the filetypes doesn't include step this way & "All Models" does not always list .stp files).

Please let us know if the Options you desired are not available.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

What's New:

2015-04-24_7-35-00.png

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thanks for the response. All of the Translators are on.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

Thanks John. That explains it.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

Hi Chris,

I have a couple of questions regarding the greyed out options button in file open dialog:

Is the options button in any sceanrio active(ungrey)? If no, why is it still there?

I want to import a step file and place the assembly fil in one folder and the parts in one folder(In Vault). In 2015 version, this was done inside the options when using file open. I have tested the import CAD model, but I cannot find out where to decide the different locations for the assembly file and the parts.

I am also missing the repair mode stuff I also had inside the options.

please advise me,

best regards

Øyvnd Seim

Pon Power

Message 10 of 24
ChrisMitchell01

Øyvnd,

The File Open dialog, where you see the grayed out Options button is a generic UI dialog component which is used for various workflows. In 2016 the Options button is only active when opening an Inventor assembly which contains various Representations or when Express graphics data is available, or when opening a DWG/DXF file to specify whether you want to open it as a drawing or import it into the 3D mode.

When opening other filetypes such Step, IGES, SWX, Catia, Crea, etc the same File Open dialog is used (for code resuse purposes) except that the Options button is programmatically disabled. The available options are then always presented after you have selected the file & hit OK.

The options relating to repairing the geometry now happen automatically on the assumption that the preference is for solids. If you need to go to the repair environment, then you will see either surfaces or composites in the browser following the import & then you can right click on them & go to the Repair environment, otherwise they will appear as stitched/solid base bodies.

I believe that the save locations were (over) simplified so that a common set of options could then be shared for the associative AnyCAD workflows, (which for 2016 don't support the step format).

The specific options you refer to were removed for 2016 to simplify the import process for the majority use cases, ie import a non-native file, stitch it to be solid & save. Unfortunately like many Ui simplification efforts in numerous s/w products these days, much of the sophistication/flexibility/power of those non-majority use cases is lost.

Hope this helps to explain; I've asked the UX team to comment if I've mis-stated anything.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 24
tims79

It seems like this new functionality is a step backwards.  Many times when opening a stp file, even if it is an assembly I will not be modifying anything since it is a vendor model, purchased part, etc.  So it keeps my folders less cluttered if I import the stp file as a multi-body part.  Prior to 2016, to do this all I had to do was find the stp file in windows explorer, drag and drop into the Inventor workspace, and it automatically defaulted to the last options I used for stp import (whether that was assembly or multi-body part).  I could even save the part from this point and the filename would by default match the step file name.

Now, I have to start a new part, find the import button, navigate to find where the stp file is saved, change the import file type to All files *.* (because strangely .stp is not listed as a file type nor does it show up under the default All Models).  Then the options box pops up, most of which are greyed out or inconsequential.  Now if I want to save it with the same filename as the stp file, I have to refer back to windows explorer and copy/paste the file name. 

Might have been easy for the coders to reuse the same code, but hasn’t made it easier for us end users.  As far as simplifying for the majority of users, I don’t think my previous workflow was non-majority.  I could be wrong.

By the way, why does this AnyCAD project 2016 ignore stp?  I thought it was one of the most common non-native cad format.  Certainly common enough to be included in a list of All Models.

Message 12 of 24
SBix26
in reply to: tims79

@tims79 I, too, am not particularly pleased by the GUI changes for STEP imports.  But it is not as difficult as you describe, either.  In Inventor, use the Open tool, change the file type to .stp, then select the file and click Open.  Then you will see the (over-) simplified Options box and get to choose how Inventor deals with your imported assembly.

Hope this helps,

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2016 Update 2
Vault Basic 2016
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 13 of 24
tims79
in reply to: SBix26

sbixler - Can you tell me how to import the stp as a multi-body part instead of an assembly using this method?  I don't see how to do it.

Message 14 of 24
SBix26
in reply to: tims79

Nope, I don't see how to do it, either.  The interface has been dumbed down so the newest of noobs can easily import a file, but we've lost the ability to get what we had before.  We at least need an Advanced tab to bring up the full range of options we previously had.  This looks to me like a very significant regression.  The workaround is to import using 2015, then open and migrate in 2016.

@ChrisMitchell01, any idea how we can import a STP assembly in 2016 as a multi-body solid as we were able to previously?

Sam B

Vault Basic 2016

Message 15 of 24
ChrisMitchell01

The method which Tim describes below is now the only way to import an assembly into a single part file. See attached sample.

This is mentioned in the Help here:

"When you import a file, Inventor automatically detects whether the imported file is a part or assembly and creates a new document accordingly. You can then preview and select imported items. To import a 3rd party assembly file as a part, you must first create or have a part file open, and then import the 3rd party assembly file into the part file."

(Yes I know you shouldn't have to read the Help for something that has worked forever....)

However, after reviewing some of the related Help for importing assemblies from here, I see that it does require some attention; it still implies the use of the option:

• "Multi-body part imports an assembly as solid bodies in a single part."

I'll request that is reviewed/enhanced.

Some of the further complication here, (in addition to the changed workflow from prior releases), is as Tim mentions, a defect which is planned to be addressed in SP1. ie when using the Import command in a part, the .step & .stp file extensions are not explicitly listed & are not available when using the "All Models" filter, so only "All Files" will show them for selection.

The support for importing assemblies into parts & drag/drop workflows were discussed/reviewed as part of the 2016 design/implementation but could not be supported based on some of the changes required for other aspects of the whole AnyCAD associative architecture.....(hence, my earlier comment about the frequent loss of elegance/sophistication when UI simplifications are performed as part of another initiative).

Yes, step is one of the most ubiquitous neutral file formats in use; the good news is that it is receiving considerable focus for the next release of Inventor. If you would like to be part of further NDA based discussions, (& get up/close & personal with the Designers/Developers), then you can apply for Inventor Alpha/Beta membership on https://beta.autodesk.com using this one-time application link:

https://bit.ly/InventorBeta

(Sam, you already have access to the Alpha/Beta project for Inventor so no need to reapply with that link).

Hope this helps explain, (even if it doesn't really help with the frustration right now).

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 24
SBix26

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.  Given all that, I think the workaround (use 2015 or earlier to import, then migrate) may be preferable!

Sam B

Vault Basic 2016

Message 17 of 24
swalton

Oyvind,

We use a similar workflow for our imported stp files.  We want the the top level assembly in one folder and the components in a sub-folder.

Chris,

We import our files this way to minimize the clutter in our purchased components directory.  We will not modify any of the sub-components of a purchased assembly, so we don't care that they are buried one folder down.  The reason we import a purchased component as an assembly as opposed to a multi-body solid is so we can add constraints to show movement.  Think of opening a door on an electrical enclosure or moving the rod end of a cylinder.  Assemblies also allow us to assign the correct materials for each component, so we get an accurate COG, which is not possible with a multi-body solid.

Anyway, loosing the abilty to set the top level assembly to one directory and the components to another adds to my workflow as I prep purchased component models for Vault.

I hope this can be addressed in a Service Pack or other release before I migrate from IV 2014.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 18 of 24
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: swalton

Fully understood, but, honestly speaking, I doubt very much that it will change for 2016. Generally we can't add fucntionality to the Ui as part of an update or service pack.

Anyway, I've passed all this on to the Design team for further review; it will likely come up as a topic on the Alpha/Beta forums which you have access to, too.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

Thanks for the clarification Chris,

I will try to adapt our workflow to the new realease. For the assembly and parts in different locations, I think we can live with the workaround to drag and drop the top assembly file to a new location after import.

bst regards

Øyvind

Message 20 of 24
tims79

I just opened my first .sat file in 2016.  There is a nice box that pops up asking how you want to import the .sat file.  This is perfectly fine.  Just give me the same box for .stp files please.

sat options.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report