Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP files all have custom texture when imported

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
thenottakenname
2215 Views, 15 Replies

STEP files all have custom texture when imported

Hello all,

my coworker is having a bit of an issue. Whenever he imports a step file, the entire surface adopts some custom texture. He was playing around with adding appearances to a library a while back, and isn't sure what he did, but it's that custom appearance he added that is being used. Any and all step files are automatically given this appearance -- turning textures off under view/appearance does get rid of it, but it also loses the textures that were supposed to be on the part. I can import the step files properly.

He says he's already tried restoring default inventor settings; is there something else that we're missing?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron Wilson
---------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2022
AutoCAD 2020
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Cadmanto
in reply to: thenottakenname

When you say he has tried restoring the Inventor default settings, did he use the Inventor Reset tool?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-t...

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 16

Hi! I think I have seen this behavior before. Somehow one of the appearance style is corrupted in the active Appearance Library. Try this workflow and see if it makes a difference.

1) Start up Inventor.

2) Go to Project (Get Started -> Project).

3) Under the Materials Library, activate Autodesk Material Library.

4) Under the Appearance Library, activate Autodesk Material Library.

5) Now, import the STEP file.

Does it import correctly now?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 16

Thanks to both of you!

Unfortunately, the project styles (edit: libraries) didn't make a difference. He's wary about the reset utility, but I'm going to assume that would fix the issues and will mark it as the solution. We're moving to new computers/Inventor 2020 soon, so he isn't too worried -- it just means I have to do more work until the move!

Aaron Wilson
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 16
iUser
in reply to: thenottakenname

@thenottakenname Did you upgrade to 2020? We use to use 2019 and it was fine, but since moving to 2020 we have bee getting this issue that all imported components have the same appearance (wood). Its extremely annoying. Were you ever able to figure out what the issue was?

111.PNG

Message 6 of 16
thenottakenname
in reply to: iUser

Yes we're using 2020 now. My coworker never mentioned it again, so I don't know if he had any issues beyond that point when they were occurring. Since we've been on 2020, we definitely haven't had an issue where everything turns to wood. Is it occurring on just one computer, or all computers that open the .stp? If you have one you can attach, we can all take a look at it and see what's happening. My gut tells me there's some "imported default appearance override" setting somewhere if it's happening to everything.

Aaron Wilson
AutoCAD 2020
Message 7 of 16

Hi! I have seen this behavior before. This is related to corrupted appearance in the active Material and Appearance Library. Please share an affected part. There should be a logical reason to explain the behavior and how to fix it.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 16
iUser
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue: Thank you for getting back to me, I have attached the multi-body step file as well as one of the parts that I have saved. All step files have this appearance when imported. 

@thenottakenname: I think you might be right, yes please have a look and see if your appearance is fine. We are running 2020 on three different stations and they are all doing the same thing. I have checked for updates and I am running on the latest version of 2020.

Message 9 of 16
WHolzwarth

I didn't see a STEP file, but I could get back a better look in the IPT by using the "Clear appearance" button in Inventor's top line.

Before that the color has been set to 198,193,188.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! I took a quick look at the part. It looks like the solid body carries the textured appearance. Typically, Inventor should use the default appearance (Generic) and then apply the RGB overrides stored in the STEP file. In this case, the "Generic" seems to carry the wooden texture, possibly due to corruption in ipt template file or the Appearance Library. Do you have a Generic appearance in the template?

Many thanks!

Untitled.png

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi guys,

Did this problem get solved? Reading through it I can't tell what the solution was. I am having the same trouble and it is very annoying!

Thanks in advance for any help,

Denis.

Message 12 of 16
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I am having the same trouble and it is very annoying!

What STEP Format?

What version of Inventor?

Can you Attach your STEP file and the resulting Inventor file(s) here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD, thanks for the reply.

Generally any STEP files I download - or are sent to me by clients - once I import them they come in with an appearance I created.

I am just trying to replicate the problem here and it doesn't seem to be happening now! I don't get it. I wouldn't NOT happen all along and I did nothing!

Ok, let this with me, if it starts happening again I will post on here again. Thanks JD.

Message 14 of 16
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok, let this with me, if it starts happening again I will post on here again. Thanks JD.

And start a new thread with a link back to this Solved thread for reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Will do, thanks JD 👍

Message 16 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Denis,

This usually happens when the active Appearance/Material style library is corrupted. Make sure the templates are clean. Open the Standard ipt and iam files and go to Manage -> Styles Editor -> Purge -> remove any pre-existing styles in the templates. After that go to Project setting -> activate Autodesk Appearance Library and Autodesk Material Library. Does it work better now?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report