Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEP file IMPORT template

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2924 Views, 15 Replies

STEP file IMPORT template

Hi all. I am learning Inventor and so far it goes pretty ok.

I figured out that when I open STEP file (or any other 3D exchange files) Inventor uses Standard.ipt as a template part. So I made my own "Standard.ipt" part and Standard.iam in case STEP file is an assembly. Is it possible to force Inventor to look for other template parts instead of one with name "standard"? Is there a setting that controls this?

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

I do not know of a setting to tell Inventor which template to use when opening a STEP file.  As you said, it will use the Standard.ipt or iam template located in the base template folder.  I would recommend taking your company templates and saving them to this folder replacing the Standard templates using the same names.  I would recommend that you save an archive copy of the Autodesk Inventor templates for possible future use before doing this.  You can have as many folders below this top level templates folder as you wish.  In my attached Screenshot, you will the the top level folder is highlighted showing the Standard templates and a folder labeled "Beyond the Drafting Board" (my Blog name) containing all my special templates. All the Standard templates are actually the same as the "Beyond the Drafting Board" templates only they have been renamed forcing Inventor to use them for common operations.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I understood this workflow correctly, most Import workflows do rely on Standard.ipt or Standard.iam as the template file. If they do not exist, Inventor will use internal template files, which users do not have any control over.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi! You could consider setting different Project files with different Template path. Each project can point to a different set of Standard templates for importing purposes.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you all (both of you) for reply.

I knew answer will be "negative" because I have found same questions asked almost 8 years ago. Maybe this will sound as a runt but it just does not make sense that Inventor knows which template part to use when importing non-native part but there is no option for us to point to desired template file. Especially, that only thing is different file name. This also applies for selecting imported part to be imported as part or as assembly. If I bring STEP file into an assembly, I can select that model to be imported as part or as assembly, but when I open same STEP file, that option is disabled. I just wonder why this is the case.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Johnson,

What you suggested will work, because I will set template path for project to different folder so Inventor will look for Standard.ipt in that folder. So what different would it be if that option (pointing to ipt file in folder) was available on "import part window"? Am I right or I am missing something?

Thank you.

Message 7 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi Danilo,

This is a design choice. Certainly, we could have offer the template selection in Options dialog in Import dialog. However, the user would have to manually select it when needed. It might be cumbersome to do when he has a large number of files to import. The other thing is that assembly and part templates will be offered but some import file types have to be parts only. These variations in behaviors make the UI interaction very complicated. We should have documented the workflows better. I will work with the project team to see what we can do better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Johnson, thank you for reply.

Please, take a look at how Creo manages opened non-native files in attached picture. You can select to open STEP model as part or as an assembly and I also can choose which template Creo should follow for imported file. In case STEP file is single part, assembly option is grayed out. But I also have an option to open STEP assembly file as a part. If template check box is not selected, then Creo uses it's default template. With this logic, I can select to open STEP file and then select template that we use for purchased parts, or I can select other template for manufactured parts that is made as purchased but altered part.

This template selection stays current for any new non-native part that Creo opens until we decide to change it or Creo session is closed.

I would not mind Inventor not having this option but since we cannot choose files names for assembly components, when we save an assembly, I end up having a lots of parts that have no meaningful names nor I need them at all since they are part of assembly that I need. And all these files "pollute" my folders. So I end up shrinkwrapping these assemblies and deleting files but this is time consuming.

Message 9 of 16
johnsonshiue

Hi! You got a good point here. Indeed, I think it would be nice to have options in Import dialog allowing users to specify what template file to use. Do you mind submitting an idea to Ideas forum if it does not exist yet. In the meantime, I will work with the project team to see what we can do.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you Johnson. I will do it.

Message 11 of 16
SBix26

You can import an assembly to a single part-- start a new part file (whatever template you wish), then use the Import tool to bring in the STEP assembly.  This gives you the same dialog as always, allowing you to select which parts will be included (as bodies instead of separate parts).

If you create an idea for this, please post the link in this thread so we can easily find it to add our votes.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.2
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1

Message 12 of 16
Cadmanto

That is why I created this idea some years ago.  This is an age long issue that has not been implemented yet.

This idea needs more support.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/ability-to-select-which-template-to-use-when-importing...

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 13 of 16

Hi,
a customer called me now and found this topic. Cadmanto created the ideas in 2013. What's going on? I liked the picture for conversion with Creo. Picture made by danilo.veljkovic Template selection - Creo.png. Why is it no longer in Inventor? How many votes do you need to make the realization?

Message 14 of 16
SBix26
in reply to: dusan.naus.trz

It's also still true that you can start a new part or assembly from any template you wish, then use the Import tool to open the STEP file into that new file.  Not quite as intuitive as choosing the template from the File Open dialog box, but certainly no more difficult.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 1903
LinkedIn

Message 15 of 16
dusan.naus.trz
in reply to: SBix26

Hi, I only send for demonstration to others. I understand the transfer.
what you write is only for one file. Not for multiple parts or multiple assemblies in an assembly. All this, as Step.

The procedure I present is for all files.

Video in the attachment.

2020-07-22_23h28_41.png

Another idea. Just for overview.

I understand that programming is not easy. This example is not so terrible, but it can be improved.
I try different programs. Solidworks, Creo, SolidEdge, NX, Catia
I claim Inventor is 10 years behind these programs. Most in pattern and mirror functionality. This is not good for sales.
You are dedicated to Fusion 360 and none of the programs is perfect.
Inventor has many programs in the package unnecessarily. Fusion 360 is cheap and nice for simple things. Inventor has been neglected for a long time.
We'll see what time shows in the future and what programmers create.
What is in color in Excel are the most important things for the future.

Message 16 of 16

Hi! I don't think the particular idea has been implemented. Nor do I hear it on the near-term radar. Please feel free to discuss it further on Inventor Feedback Community.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report