Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steering a parts parameters from main assembly without causing cyclic dependency

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
847 Views, 4 Replies

Steering a parts parameters from main assembly without causing cyclic dependency

Hi,

I have a main assembly file in which I want to store all important parameters, not only from assembly, but also from its parts. Then I want to have ability to change these parameters in Parameters Table from main assembly level, so every single part can be modified without going into them. I want to declare all of these parameters from main assembly level, for example a Length1 and Height1 for Part1, Length2 and Height2 for Part2 etc. Then from these parts level I want to 'download' corresponding parameters from main assembly using Link tool (in parts files these parameters will be read-only and it's OK because I want to steer them from main assembly level). There is no problem with doing it, however after doing it I cannot insert these parts in my main assembly due to cyclic dependency.

Do you have any suggestions how can I deal with my problem without changing whole approach? Is it possible in any way? How can I send parameters to my parts from main assembly level without losing ability to insert them in that assembly?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

If I were you, I would accomplish what you are trying to do by creating an empty, although is does not have to be, part.  I would use that part as a parameter library and link it to any assembly or part I desire to control.  You will not get the problems you are experiencing plus you will be able to use it over and over in different assemblies that share the same parameters.  It is the same idea you are trying now, just using a common parametric part instead of your one top level assembly.  The same process can be accomplished by linking an Excel spreadsheet to any part or assembly you desire.  This method does however involve an external application that must be tracked.

You can export parameters from one file to another by choosing the export command under the Parameter command on the ribbon if you want a quick way to capture your existing parameters. 

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
PaulMunford

The only way that this can be done is using iLogic to copy the parameter values from the Assembly to the part.

You could try this Autodesk University class for an explanation. There's an iLogic example at the end:

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/product-design-suite/ma2604#ch...

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: PaulMunford

Yes, iLogic is the best approach. It allows you to access parameters from different contexts at the top-level. Another way is to link to an Excel spreadsheet or a skeletal part. Basically, the spreadsheet or the skeletal part drives most parameters in different parts and assemblies.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks for your suggestions.

@jhackney1972

Your idea is good but I think it will not work for me because at the later stage I would like to publish this assembly as asset in Factory Design Utilities and thus I need all parameters inside my assembly.

@PaulMunford and @johnsonshiue

I think that using iLogic will be the best way to achieve my goal. I will try it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report