Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spur Gear refresh problem

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2562 Views, 2 Replies

Spur Gear refresh problem

As a trial I inserted 2 meshed 2:1 ratio spur gears and now  all gear generators as a default contain (unalterably) these parameters - spur gears, worm gears and  bevel gears. I cannot delete, refresh, alter or do anything else to the Spur gear component generator. I've tried eliminating them from the registry (by deleting entries from the registry 'recent file list' as suggested by a post on this site), tried to delete them in 'C:\users\...Design  Accelerator\Spur Gear 21.ipt' where they are listed. When I try to open the file it gives me a message 'The selected file is not recognized by this version of the software or not a valid Autodesk Inventor file'. The file claims to be 0 bytes which tells to me it had been deleted at some point but the parameters still remain as the only option in the Component Generator. I've tried the Inventor repair option several times (which takes only a few seconds to run) and the reinstall option (takes longer) but still the initial file specs persist. I've been screwing around with this for the last few days and it's getting frustrating. How is this difficult? Looking at other posts I see problems like this have been around for a while. Any help much appreciated (Computer is HP Pavilion notebook 2.2 GHz quad-core something or other and everything else seems okay).

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

.... Looking at other posts I see problems like this have been around for a while. .....

I have never seen this issue.

Can you cite the links to other posts describing this issue?

What version (including service pack) of Inventor are you using?

Can you include some screen captures (I am not sure I even understand the issue).

I use the Gear Generator on a pretty regular basis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using an HP Pavilion 11-n041ca Notebook running Win10 with:
Inventor Professional 2016 64bit Student Version Standard
Build 210, release 2016 sp1, Tue, 10/13/2015
Expiration Date 11/6/2018
Extendable
SN 900-65388918
Product key 797H1

Whoa... Wait a minute.  It seems to be working better now... probably something to do with all the Repairing, Reinstalling and Win 10 restores

in the last few days.  It still seems to want to save all files to the Interactive tutorials folder even though I start a new project under the Default heading.

Also how do I turn on 'Flexible' as I would rather insert my own number of teeth which I see in some gear catalogs

For what it's worth, the Spur Gears Component Generator used to fill out the following: 

Design Guide

Module and Number of Teeth ...  I can change this heading but haven't turned 'Flexible' setting on

Desired Gear Ratio  2 'ul'                (what does 'ul' stand for?)

Module                  0.850 mm

Gear 1                   Component                          

Number of Teeth   23 'ul'

Face Width            10.000 mm

Unit correction      0.2916 ul

Pressure Angle      20.000 deg

Helix Angle           0.0000 deg

Unit Corrections Guide - According to Merrit    (fine by me)

Total Unit Correction    0.3032 ul  ( Preview -  shows results filled out for this configuration)

Gear 2

Component

Number of teeth    47 ul

Face Width            10.000 mm

Unit Correction      0.0116 ul

...and expanding the listing the following messages appear:

PM Design: Gear 1: The unit correction (x) is less than the Unit Correction without tapering (Xz)

PM Design: Numbers of teeth are commensurable - shots of the same teeth are taken relatively regularly

PM Calculation indicates design failure!

My gear design is limited to an engineering course from many years ago and I've forgotten most of it

Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report