Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting Sections of a Tank Shell

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Atlas_Inventor
895 Views, 8 Replies

Splitting Sections of a Tank Shell

Is there a way to use the Split Solid tool to partially split a circle and have multiple solids after.

Ex) I would like to cut the tank at the 180 and 270 deg marks. Using the split tool still cuts through 0 and 90. I tried drawing a line from a top view that started from center going through 180, but it still goes through 0 as well.

I've attached an example shell of where I would like to have 6 solids after.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jletcher
in reply to: Atlas_Inventor

Can I ask why? I looked at your part and would like to know why you need this done. I think I have a better way for you...

Message 3 of 9
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: jletcher

The standard 1/4" sheets we get are 8x20 and the stretchout of that shell flattened out is ~ 13 ft x 41.6 ft. I'm open to any recommendations. I would just like to be able to split the parts I've already go made.

Message 4 of 9
jletcher

Oh well then. you have some work to be done.

You  can try this. not the best way but all others would take about an hour to explain. But monday check your post I will Have a part for you. I made huge stacks and had to do the same I just went around a different way..

Again would not really do this but may help you

Just do a save as tank shell part 1---- tank shell part 2 and so on.

Message 5 of 9
SBix26

If I understood correctly, here's my take on it.  What's needed is a surface that intersects your solid only where you want the cut(s).

Update: the surface isn't needed, just a sketch that defines the cut, in this case two lines extending out from the origin on the angles that you want.

Message 6 of 9
Atlas_Inventor
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler wrote:

If I understood correctly, here's my take on it.  What's needed is a surface that intersects your solid only where you want the cut(s).

Update: the surface isn't needed, just a sketch that defines the cut, in this case two lines extending out from the origin on the angles that you want.

Yes, the part you had attached there is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know why that method wasn't working for me before, but I looked at your split and sketch and was able to repeat it.

Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 9
gmclellanT542G

Hello,

I'm having the exact same problem. I took a look at what you had uploaded & it makes sense! The only thing is, it won't let me select multiple lines under the tool select box in the SPLIT command. It takes one cutting line & just goes thru the whole shell.

I've attached my file for you, (or anyone) to look at.

I have the splices on Sketch3 - VERT COURSE SPLICES

and the solid body is COURSE 1

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
Message 8 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: gmclellanT542G

There are too many lines in your Sketch3 - VERT COURSE SPLICES sketch, the Split tool can't use them all.  So, create a new sketch on the XZ plane (or on your Work Plane - VERT COURSE SPLICES plane) and project the COURSE 1 SPLICE and COURSE 2 SPLICE lines (for example).  Now these two lines will select as a single splitting tool.  Do the same for each of the four segments of the tank wall.

SBix26_0-1694014403087.png

Update: I just realized you only need to do this once.  After the first split you can just use the lines from your original sketch to do the rest of them.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 9 of 9
gmclellanT542G

Yup, that worked! Should've tried that, but was hoping to not have multiple sketches for splices. That's fine though. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report