Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow zoom-pan on large assemblies

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
2132 Views, 25 Replies

Slow zoom-pan on large assemblies

Hi, 
i downloaded the trial version of Inventor, and i'm taking a look to all the functionalities that it offers, but i'm having a few performance issues.
When i load quite large assemblies the program gets quite slow while zooming / panning, especially when the cursor is above the part, it "freezes" for a few seconds showing the loading cursor, and than it updates the view as it should.

It's quite strange because looking to task manager it looks like inventor isn't even using all the resources, i see 20-30%cpu usage, 40%memory usage and disk usage near to 0.
My laptop is not a beast, but it has pretty good specifications: windows 10, i7 6700hq, 16gb of ram ddr4, nvidia gtx960m, i don't understand what could cause this issue.
Also on single parts if i zoom quite fast i can see the loading cursor symbol appearing and disappearing, that is a quite strange behaviour.

thank you

ps:is there a way to customize mouse keys bindings? I think that the default ones aren't optimal unless you use it always with a 3d mouse.

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

version of Inventor?

I have pretty close to the same ..just a 940m ...

Are you up to date on everything ...driver too?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Version 2017 pro. I think that everything is up to date. Nvidia experience application usually send a notification for new drivers

Message 4 of 26
mdavis22569

how big of an assembly?  I've opened, rotated/panned' and rendered a 2000 plus piece assembly

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

It's a solidworks assembly of 806 bodies, it's the model of a small cnc router i got from grabcad, that i'm using to test / get used to this program.

I know that this pc should handle something like this, there must be something wrong.

but i feel like the problem is more related to the highlighting of the parts, because when i zoom with the cursor on the model the problem gets worse

Message 6 of 26
mdavis22569

might be that file that's the issue. 

You're got a solidworks / grabcad file ...     What happens if you model up a part or assembly and rotate it yourself .. 

Try one of the tutorials and see how that does.   Could be the file you downloaded 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

Well i would need to model a large assembly to reproduce the issue.
I tryed another model (iges) that i got from work, it's a single model (a head of a single cylinder 4 stroke engine), it is not complex, but if i zoom fast i can see the loading wheel appearing for a fraction of a second, even if the zoom remains smooth.
Only sometimes it will eventually freeze for half a second, but it's really rare on such a simple model

Message 8 of 26
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Under Tools/Application Options/Hardware tab..  What do you have for settings?  Also click on the diagnostic button and select ok to put your information in the clipboard and then paste it here so we can review it.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

is there a reason why my message with the diagnostic result was deleted twice??

here is a video of the problem, when the cursor is far zooming works well (not always, but it's better), when the cursor is on the model it gets really laggy and it freezes a lot

https://goo.gl/photos/AKRndy71xDNMmwtw9

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

Well, this is interesting, it looks like it freezes only on "new" views. For example now it is ALMOST completely smooth with the level of zoom that you see in the video, but zooming all the way out will bring the problem back. But if i zoom completely out, from that moment zooming completely out won't make the program freeze anymore, like if it's creating some kind of cache.

However the "loading" wheel on the cursor keeps appearing, it only takes less to "load"

edit: now it got slow again ...

Message 11 of 26
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Instead of using your phone to capture an issue, use Autodesk Screencast (link in signature)..  Post the screencast here once its uploaded..  Also some of the stuff I saw appeared to be graphical card issues.   Like I said also post your diagnostic information here so we can see what you have.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

As i said i posted that log 3 times, but it always get deleted....

Now i will upload a txt file.

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous

http://autode.sk/2bToDyi

here is the screen capture. At the end it froze for a lot of time, but as you can see the loading symbol kepps appearing.

I also attached the log

Message 14 of 26
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi marco.mutti94,

You might also check to see that your model is not set to use Perspective view:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016...

edit: I just saw this video, it doesn't look like perspective view is in use:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yes, i'm not using perspective view.
Consider that in the first part of the video it was in a good moment, it usually freezes a lot more. In the last part it froze really bad

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous

Any ideas?

Message 17 of 26
ChrisMitchell01

This issue is something that is currently being worked on for a "future release". In 2017 you can experiment with these settings from Tools, Application options:

On Colors tab - try disabling "Enable Prehighlight" & "Enable Enhanced highlighting"

On General tab - try disabling "Enable Optimized Selection"

On Display tab - experiment with the "Display quality" options, "Minimum frame rate (Hz), & "Disable Automatic Refinement"

Are you zooming with the mouse wheel or using the F3 key ? Does one work better than the other ?

Hope this helps,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Actually it works a lot better usign f3 + LMB.
Navigating using f1 / f2 / f3 + LMB it's not bad, it kind of compensate for the choice of the mouse bindings that i didn't really like at the beginning.
The only problem is that the activation of the command when you press one of those function keys is not immediate, and sometimes you drag something instead of rotating / zooming / panning.

However it's really strange, how is zooming with f3 different from using the wheel? One keeps freezing for seconds, the other one works ok.
The only problem as said is switching between those 3 functions

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

Is there a way to completely remove the highlighting of the edges/ faces under the cursor?  In my opinion that is the problem. I don't see any difference between quality and performance hardware settings, the problem is not the hardware not being powerful enough.

Message 20 of 26
sundars

Hi Marco,

In an assembly environment, to disable selection and highlighting while zooming, you can disable pre-highlight. Click on the selection priority drop-down and click on "Enable Prehighlight" - this is a toggle. This will allow you to zoom/pan without doing a selection/highlight. This should be faster.

If you disable prehighlight, objects in the graphics window will no longer highlight as you move your cursor, but will highlight when you do the actual pick.

Generally speaking, the mouse wheel is slower because we do a frame by frame render as you move the wheel. F3 is a better option to zoom. For small datasets, the difference should not be noticeable - however for large datasets, you may notice a difference.

You can also fine-tune your graphics display settings in application options to disable automatic refinement to speed up the render as you zoom around.

Thanks and hope that helps.

-Shiva Sundaram

Inventor Engineering

PreHighlight.jpg

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report