Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketching on a Curve

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
747 Views, 11 Replies

Sketching on a Curve

Hi,

I was looking on the forums, however, I couldn't reproduce what I saw in some of the examples. Maybe, they used a different version of Inventor. I'm using Inventor 2017 and I'm trying to project an image on a surface that isn't flat.

My steps were to draw a sketch on a plane. Then project it on a surface. However, I had to make it a 3D sketch, which will prevent me from extruding, since it must be a 2D sketch.

Now, I tried to use the split feature, like I saw in many examples, but none of them worked.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Post your file(s) here, I'm sure someone can assist.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2017.3.1
Vault Workgroup 2017.0.1
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for your reply!

I'm spending time learning Inventor as a hobby and with the surfacing, the freeform, and etc, I feel that I almost have all the skills needed to be a successful CAD modeler. The one valuable tool that I'm missing--is the ability to draw a sketch on the curve, which can have good applications when you need a particular pattern.

Here's a video from Solidworks. I was hoping that I can do the same steps, but using the Inventor options, to be able to extrude like this lady did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJs4k-30rew

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 5 of 12
HermJan.Otterman

your saying: project an image on a surface... but the YouTube link shows something else...? no image but some other stange way of constructing something.

I created a screencast of doing the same in Inventor.

so you can only sketch on a plane surface, but with a 3D sketch you can construct a 3D sketch of that planer sketch and the curved surface.

here is my screencast: http://autode.sk/2ohYPgD

If this answers your question then please select "Accept as Solution"
Kudo's are also appreciated Smiley Wink

Succes on your project, and have a nice day

Herm Jan

Message 6 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! I suspect you are looking for Curve on Surface. Create or edit a 3D Sketch -> Curve on Surface. Then you can draw on any face.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 12
WHolzwarth

Here's a more complex way of doing (2017 IPT). Move EOP from top to bottom for seeing the steps. 3DSketch2 is empty and can be deleted.

Question for Johnson: Why can't I add an angle in Ruled Surface1?

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Another issue: Why is the edge zone of the boundary patch (red circle) distorted?

Extending this surface at the left changes direction, too.

Ugly patch.jpg

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Hi Walter,

BP is also another type of Freeform tool (non-Tspline). Basically, Inventor tries to fit a G2 continuous surface passing the selected boundary. In theory, the solution would not be unique. In this case, BP has trouble keeping the edge G2 continuous. This is wrong. I will work with the project team to find out where the problem is and how we can resolve it.

In the meantime, you could create multiple 3D Sketches (each has one curve segment). Then use Loft to create the surface. The result will be more satisfying. Interestingly, based on my personal experience, Loft and BP are sometimes interchangeable. When Loft does not work, BP can help vice versa. This is not the first case I see such behavior.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, that is a tool that I tried beforehand. That is probably my best option. Thanks again!

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: HermJan.Otterman

Thanks for your help.

I didn't need that model, but an understanding on how to extrude from the face from a projected 2D sketch. When I do more complicated patterns, the technique from the video will be useful. Sorry that I said image. Sometimes, I be writing so fast, that I get my terminology off.

Thanks again!

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report