Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplify part size

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Ioannis.Bokas
201 Views, 2 Replies

Simplify part size

Hello to the team,

I had an iam file with a structure with bolts etc which was exported from Revit. Because its size was 23mb I choose to make a simplification by removing the bolts and finally the new simplified ipt file is larger that the initial. Do you know why is that happened. It's not the first time. 

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

It is possible that the simplification information set weighs more than the bolt position information.
But that's weird.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

@kacper.suchomski wrote:

But that's weird.

I think the OP is referring to the file size, not the weight of the assembly.

@Ioannis.Bokas 

An assembly file *.iam is nothing more than a set of instructions on how to put the parts *.ipt together and a bit more information.

When you combine all of the parts in an assembly into one *.ipt file you need to add together ALL of the individual part file sizes plus perhaps a bit of extra information.

See example:

JDMather_0-1674047534108.png

The *.iam is 967kb but examine the sizes of the individual *.ipt files.

The 6-Protractor is 1,319kb.  Larger than the *.iam by itself (the assembly instructions).  Add all the other *.ipt files sizes to that 1,319kb and you logically see why combining everything together in one file is larger than the assembly instructions.

If I missed the problem description and you are comparing two *.ipt files (one with the fasteners and one without) you will need to Attach the examples here for diagnosis of the difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report