Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simplify Intersecting Assemblies with thousands on references

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
andrew_canfield
162 Views, 3 Replies

Simplify Intersecting Assemblies with thousands on references

A rough description.

50 meter square site - four 10 thousand part assemblies in each corner & a fifth over the whole square.

the task is to create a reference model of the centre 5 meters square.

Some of the sub assemblies contain shrinkwraps - shrinkwrapping a shrinkwrap doesn't appear to work.

Creating an 'intersection' shrinkwrap  references 50 thousand parts & hangs the machine.

Exporting each assembly as a step file  - re- importing, select by plane & delete the unwanted is an option & will take a while.

The dream would be a 3D selection from Navisworks to use as a reference within an Inventor drawing - not currently possible?

Still thinking about possible alternatives.

INTERSECTION.JPG

Regards

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Things just became worse!

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/import-step-files-as-assembly/idc-p/9084633#M36667

Might take a week to sort this model out.

Message 3 of 4

After making a derive cut to remove unwanted parts this can be seen:

DERIVE GHOSTS.JPG

The left hand image is great but i would like to reduce the file size (there are more sub assemblies to add).

Hover the cursor over the workplane & a red ghost appears showing part of the original model - can't this be removed too?

export to STEP & reimport fix that issue - awkward workflow.

Regards

Andrew

Message 4 of 4

Hi Andrew,

I think you pretty much exhausted the options. But, I am wondering if there is a better way to do this. Based on the image you attached to the original post, it looks like you would like to show the intersection envelope. Is it right? When the intersection is obtained, do you care about the participating assemblies around it?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report