Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal - Lofted Flange - Double / Split Fold Line Error - How to Fix?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
damien
311 Views, 3 Replies

Sheetmetal - Lofted Flange - Double / Split Fold Line Error - How to Fix?

Hi,

I have a long Trough that has been modelled in the sheet metal enviroment with each section of the trough formed by a lofted flange, the Seam for the sheetmetal need to be verticle and the bottom V is tapered.  Everthing looks OK but once the Flat pattern is done, the intersection between the Verticle edges and tapered bottom, the Fold/Bend model and Flat pattern show a dual fold.  In reality this will be a single fold.  Is there a way to fix this in the model?

TroughGA.JPG

DualFold.JPG

SectionGA.JPG

FolfFlatPattern.JPG

    

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
damien
in reply to: damien

I have also evaluated the other option of forming this model, with a lofted Flange as a surface and Split into the sectionens and then thicked, This removes the dual Fold line issue but creates an issue with the Ends being jagged.  This can be cleaned up, bu is there a setting that will allow this to be correct the first time without clean up and second actions.  If i Change the 

ThickedSurfaceOption.JPG

ThickedSurfaceOptionLowerEnd.JPG

If I change the bend options it is better but still has a step in it.

BendOptions.JPG

BendOptionChanged.JPG

  

Message 3 of 4
IgorMir

Hi Damien,

What you have described has got all the attributes of a software bug. And indeed - it can be reproduced easily. Here is a part in IV2020 format.
Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 4 of 4
IgorMir

Hi Damien,

To use Surface is the best way out in this design as far as I can tell. Since Lofted Flange itself is of limited help. Here is a model. I don't have the issues in the corners you have described, BTW.

Part1 is, effectively - a Master Part. It is derived into a new part file and edited in there to suit. Once all of the parts are made - the assembly file will show the final design.

The are some other techniques to accomplish the design. Using Multiple Solids can be handy too. It is all boils down to individual preferences, really.

Cheers,

Igor
P.S. There is although a stand alone Part2. It is just to show another way of how that design could have been done.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report