Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal flat pattern width and length

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
lcorrea876ST
6713 Views, 10 Replies

Sheet metal flat pattern width and length

Hi,

I have inventor 2018 and I want to use the sheet metal length and width in my BOM, I have been reading that I have to put this in iProperties:

=<FLAT PATTERN LENGTH> cm

=<FLAT PATTERN WIDTH> cm

This displays the values in cm, it doesn't make any change if instead of typing "cm" I type "in"..

I red that this feature was just available in centimeters.. but it was posted in 2014.. I was wondering if this was fixed in 2018 version.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

You can change the units from the parameters browser by changing each one from cm to in.  I am using custom iproperties for extents_length & extents_width ..... 

sheet metal extents.jpg

Then I created a custom iproperty (CUT_SIZE) as a formula to display the overall length and width ... 

sheet metal cut size.jpg

By doing it this way, my length and width always change based on the sheet metal size.

Hope this helps with your problem ...

Doug J.

---------------------------------------------------
It's not easy maintaining this level of insanity !!!!!
Message 3 of 11
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: lcorrea876ST

Hello,

It was fixed in Inventor 2018 already, please follow the steps from Help document.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-9ED64200-A0CA-4F27-A308-9BF7ADB22D06

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 4 of 11
lcorrea876ST
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

It shows the dimension in decimal, I need it in fraction.

I can modify the format from decimal to fraction when the parameter is shown in the parameters list but in this case it won't show length width or area.. Is there a way to change the format?

Message 5 of 11

Can you post a picture of what you are getting and trying to do ??

I'm a little confused as to why you can't change the units.  Also, you might need to create a formula to get the area.

I assume you are using the flat pattern to get your values ... ???

--------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------
It's not easy maintaining this level of insanity !!!!!
Message 6 of 11

As you can see in picture No. 1 I have a BOM, when I am using a standard part I can pull the material and length from the model using iProperties by clicking share parameter and changing the format from decimal to fractional(picture No. 2).

My original question was how to show the length and width of a sheet metal part in the BOM and it was answered.. I have to type "=<Sheet metal length> in iProperties (picture No. 3) but as you can see in picture No. 1 it it shared in decimal format.. In normal parts I can change the format from decimal to fraction in parameters but in case I am working with a sheet metal part I can't because the length and the width aren't in the parameters list (picture No. 4).

Bottom line.. I want to show in my BOM the length of my sheet metal part in fractions..

Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: lcorrea876ST

Hi! If I understood your request correctly, this can be done using an iLogic rule and Custom Parameter Format. Please see attached part.

I created two user parameters: LENGTH and WIDTH and export them so they will appear in Custom iProperties. In the Parameters dialog, I changed the Custom Parameter Format to fraction. Next, I created a rule to capture the extent values. Lastly, the Custom iProperties form an expression to combine the two fractional values.

Please take a look and let me know if you have additional questions.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
7021Httt
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi. Can you tell me how to use the Sheet Metal Length and Width and then have the possibility to remove precision and the units? This i did in Thickness in the paremeters/Custom Property Format see iProperties_3

Message 9 of 11
7021Httt
in reply to: 7021Httt

Parts with iProperties.

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: 7021Httt

Hi Henrik,

Here you go! I just added two user parameters (LENGTH and WIDTH), exported them, and set the proper format. Then I created a simple rule to equate the properties. Please take a look at the attached part and let me know if you have additional questions.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
7021Httt
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi John. Just what i needed. Thanks for helping. 🙂 Henrik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report