Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal flange, can't select edge on part

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
StigVold
5366 Views, 12 Replies

Sheet metal flange, can't select edge on part

When trying to make a Flange in Sheet Metal design, the edges on the part is not highlighted.

Not possible to Select any edge.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CCarreiras
in reply to: StigVold

Hi!

Delete the "extrusion"... use only the "Face" and it will work.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
mcgyvr

@StigVold wrote:

When trying to make a Flange in Sheet Metal design, the edges on the part is not highlighted.

Not possible to Select any edge.

In the future please post the actual Inventor files vs pictures..

Having the ipt file in this case would allow us to identify the issue without doubt/guessing..

An image forces us to guess.. 😉

But yes.. I have no idea why you have a face and an extrusion for something that looks like a single flat face in that image.. Its entirely possible that whatever that extrusion is doing is potentially causing this issue..

If not post the ipt file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 13
JDMather

Do I see a bevel edge on your part (edge not perpendicular to the flat)?

Bevel Edge.PNG

Attach your *.ipt file here and end all doubt.

Is Sketch1 fully defined?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 13
mcgyvr
in reply to: JDMather

@JDMather wrote:

Do I see a bevel edge on your part (edge not perpendicular to the flat)?

Bevel Edge.PNG

Attach your *.ipt file here and end all doubt.

Is Sketch1 fully defined?

Thats what it looked like to me also.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Thats what it looked like to me also.. 

We may never know for sure.  Man Surprised

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 13
StigVold
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank's a lot!

Message 8 of 13
maxim.teleguz

any direct edits to the sheet metal part will cause edge to not be available for selection. 

Message 9 of 13
IgorMir
in reply to: maxim.teleguz

Nonsense.
Here is a part in IV2020.

@maxim.teleguz wrote:

any direct edits to the sheet metal part will cause edge to not be available for selection. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 10 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Igor is right. Direct Edit isn't the issue. The edge will become unselectable when the side face becomes no longer perpendicular to the sheet metal faces. Or, the edge is an unrolled edge. Direct Edit is an operation manipulate the geometry as is, without changing its type. Whether or not the edge can be selected to create a flange feature depends on the edge type and the side faces.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 13
maxim.teleguz
in reply to: IgorMir

@IgorMir wrote:

Nonsense.
Here is a part in IV2020.

@maxim.teleguz wrote:

fascinating, I have an issue here with a part that started out as a solid body that I reversed through feature recognition. then when I had a direct edit to it, I could only select one side of the part for sheet metal and it was frustrating me quite a bit, this is why I had that answer. 

Message 12 of 13
IgorMir
in reply to: maxim.teleguz

Hi Maxim,

There is a chance - something is not right with the converted part of yours. Here is a part which was modeled as a Standard part and then - converted to a sheet metal one. Can't see much of a difference. But really - it is a much better practice use Sheet metal module for sheet metal work. And not mix two modules as much as possible.

Cheers,

Igor. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 13 of 13

Hi Maxim,

Maybe the edge is a tolerant edge (an edge with a gap). It is quite common on an imported body. Please share the file here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I can take a look to find out why the edge isn't selectable.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report