Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sheet metal cylinder with end flanges

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1975 Views, 7 Replies

sheet metal cylinder with end flanges

I am having a hard time making a sheetmetal cylinder with 4 tabs at one end. I can make the cylinder with the contour feature but cant add a flange to the base of the cylinder.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you trying to use the sheetmetal features in inventor? if you could put up a jpeg it might help a little more.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

This is what I want to end up with in sheetmetal so then I can unfold it. its a 2" high x 4.25 dia cyl with (4) flanges on the base.
Message 4 of 8
JDMather

I don't think Inventor can unfold that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thats what I thought. Its one of those things that can be made but not modeled.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Well. i dont think you are going to get that to work. let say you wanted to make it in real life, you would need to a custom die made to make curved bends. the sheetmetal tool in inventor is very strict on how it bends stuff and it assumes your doing normal press brake work. what youll need to do is make a flat spot for those tabs to be bent off of. if you look at your picture and think about how the metal will act if you slowly unfolded what you drew you would see near the bend the metal would have to compress to go into a flat pattern due to the cylinder.

if i can think of a easey way around your problem ill get back to you.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Might try - > model as as a square, round the corners so tangents a just outside tab intersections, leaving the flats and straight
bend.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

The software just doesnt allow for material deformation tangent to the axis of the previous bend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report