Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several Problems with Inventor 2012

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
1880 Views, 12 Replies

Several Problems with Inventor 2012

I have installed Autodesk Design Suite 2012, and have experienced several problems with Inventor.

1.       Can’t delete projects: Unwanted sample and tutorial projects could not be deleted in the Manage Projects window. Deleting them would appear to work, but the next time I started Inventor the projects would be in the list again. I had to manually find the IPJ files in Windows Explorer and delete them.

2.       Will not retain configuration settings: Configuration settings will not stay set. The ribbon color selection and project selection regularly, but not consistently, return to the default settings, or some previous setting.

3.       Pack and Go does not work: When saving IDW files to DWG files, Pack and Go selection no longer works. The files are simply placed in the chosen location individually and not placed in a ZIP file.

4.       Tangent constraints will not offset: When constraining parts in an assembly using the tangent constraint, the parts remain at zero offset no matter what offset dimension you input.

I have never experienced this many glitches in a new release of Inventor, and I have always upgraded immediately upon release for the last 5 years. It’s possible I could be doing something wrong, but with the nature of the problems, I cannot imagine what. I just keep checking for a service pack. L

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Bet you are on Windows 7 or Vista..

In any case, if you have the UAC on or do not have admin rights, then Inventor cannot wtite certain setting to the registry.

Try these tips:

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

Message 3 of 13
marshaltu

Hi,

I have some comments about Q1 and Q3.

- Cannot delete projects in Project Editor dialog.

I cannot reproduce the issue. Could you please give more information? Before that, please make sure your Inventor is registered correctly. Please follow the steps as below and re-register Inventor:

(1) Start -> Run and type "regedit" to lauch window registry editor.

(2) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\Current Version and find key "Registered" and change value from "1" to "0".

(3) Close registry editor.

(4) Launch Inventor.

(5) Close Inventor.

- Pack & Go doesn't work.

It seems that Pack & Go can never zip file automatically. I believe it is legacy behaviour. If I misunderstand you, please tell me the detailed reproducible steps.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

We are familiar with the UAC conflict, and all ours are off.

The configuration settings are working now, and retaining as expected. After uninstalling all the 2011 programs I manually deleted all the old folders in places such as “Application Data” etc. Maybe there was I conflict somewhere. I don’t know.

In every version of Inventor with the Pack and Go feature, when in and IDW file selecting “Save as Copy”, them “AutoCAD DWG Files”, then “Options”, and checking the “Pack and Go” box… the program creates DWG files for each page of the IDW, then places them in a ZIP folder. I installed Inventor 2012 on my home computer running Windows 7 32, and it works perfectly. But here at work we are running Win 7 64 pro, and none of us can get it to work properly. It creates the DWG files but does not place them in a ZIP folder.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

We are having problems as well.  What we are finding is some inconsistancies on how a full session of Inventor handles supressed/invisible parts within iLogic rules.  What we are seeing is that on a full, interactive session the rules work just fine.  When we run the same models in a headless automated those same rules have problems and fail to run.

Anyone else seeing similar problems

Brandt Everett

Watson Furniture.com

Message 6 of 13
marshaltu

Thank you for the detailed information. We will try to reproduce and investigate the issue.

Thanks,

Marshal

Marshal Tu
Fusion 360 Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
scottmoyse

can you elaborate on this some more please.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

RevOps Strategy Manager at Toolpath. New Zealand based.

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 8 of 13
scottmoyse

exporting/saving dwg files like isn't called a pack n go is it? 

An actual pack n go has never created zip files. But you can choose for the export/save as DWG to zip up each individual dwg into 1 zip file. I haven't tried this out myself yet. i will have a look tomorrow if i get time.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: scottmoyse

Best example.

We have A.iam.  Inside of A we have B.iam and C.iam.  Based on an iProperty in A we suppress/unsuppress either B or C.  We then run a rule on the unsuppressed one.

If we run this iLogic rule in a full version of regular session of Inventor it runs just fine.  If we take the exact same model an run it in a spawned 'headless session' of Inventor, it fails and throws up an error message.

I have tried explicitly running the rule within the same logic that I do the suppress/unsuppress and I have tried putting an IsActive() test before running the rule and get the same result.

Message 10 of 13
scottmoyse

sorry for being an idiot, but what is a 'spawned headless session of Inventor'.

Is it calling up the Inventor exe and running code from an external application? 

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Scott,

You wrote, "exporting/saving dwg files like isn't called a pack n go is it?" To be clear, the operation to which I was referring is the Pack and Go option, when saving IDW pages as DWG files. If you do not regularly create DWG files from IDW files, this will not affect you. The pack and go option is a check box on the options page for creating DWG files from IDW pages. When the box is checked, it simply places all of the DWGs in a ZIP folder after they are created.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: scottmoyse

A seperate server application starts up Inventor API and processes the model.  It updates iProperties and runs specific rules defined in the model.

We call it headless because if it ends up opening the full window on the server, all of the ribbon and setup display disappears.

Message 13 of 13
scottmoyse

It works fine for me. See the screen capture here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HDPMXNBD 

I'm using Win 7 64bit SP1

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report