Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up standard views and dimensions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
baliasM74U3
376 Views, 5 Replies

Setting up standard views and dimensions

Hi Experts 

INV 2018

I am modelling some m/s plates which are of basic geometry (rectangular), only the overall dimensions changes from one to other. Is there an option in inventor drawing module to pull the basic 3 views of these items to the drawing sheet with the overall length, width and thickness ?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SharkDesign
in reply to: baliasM74U3

If there all done from the same model. I.e. you do a save as and change the dimensions do the following. 

Create the drawing how you want it.

Save as for part 2

Use the replace model reference command in the drawing ribbon choose part 2

All your dimensions should adapt to the new part. 

Repeat this for your other parts doing a save as and then replace model reference

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 6
swalton

Inventor 2022 has some moderately interesting workflows with sheet formats, named design view reps and 3d annotations.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsVjDudOTQ

I won't be on 2022 for at least 12 months, so I don't know if the Autodesk workflow matches our needs. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 4 of 6
BDCollett

@baliasM74U3 wrote:

Hi Experts 

INV 2018

I am modelling some m/s plates which are of basic geometry (rectangular), only the overall dimensions changes from one to other. Is there an option in inventor drawing module to pull the basic 3 views of these items to the drawing sheet with the overall length, width and thickness ?

Thanks

You might be able to do something with iLogic but being you are on 2018 I am not sure how far you can go.

2021 introduced quite a few features to help automating drawing views as seen in this video:

Autodesk Inventor 2021 What's New: Drawing Automation - YouTube

Message 5 of 6
SharkDesign

Here's how I would do it if I understand you correctly. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/7701fe96-12f8-4046-b63b-3bc806b0b8ac

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Sheet formats have been further enhanced in recent releases. But, in former releases, sheet format workflows are available. You can select a format and a component (ipt or iam) and populate the drawing views automatically. Also make sure the retrieving model dimensions option is checked (Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> check "Retrieve all model dimensions on view placement").

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report