Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Offset As Resting Position Not Working

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
643 Views, 5 Replies

Set Offset As Resting Position Not Working

Hello,

In the assembly below I placed a cylinder and a piston where there is a work plane normal to each lenght. In order to define the stroke I made a flush constrain setting as offset a maximum and a minimum value. I works and drives fine. But when I activate the Set Offset As Resting Position for the maximum stroke it is not return to this after moving the assembly.

How can I make it work?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
andrewiv
in reply to: Anonymous

Is it possible to share the data set, or another one that exhibits the same problem?

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewiv

I shared now a rar file with all parts and assembly if you mean this by saying data set. 

Thank you for response!

Message 4 of 6
kelly.young

Hello @Anonymous at first glance I thought that Link6 might be the culprit because after deleting it, the offset works. After deleting and re-constraining everything to the assembly origin plane it still does not function. Taking it a step further, if you simplify it down to just 4 parts it still fails.

RestingOffset.png

I don't know if the geometry is off ever so slightly (it looks good) that the resting offset doesn't kick in, or it just can't compute with this configuration. I have seen similar setups and believe the resting offset has worked, not sure what is going on. Is there a master sketch with perfect geometry as a base? If you can recreate using that workflow, then constrain it may work better? 

On a side note there are many recreated planes when the part origin and assembly origin could be used for simplicity. Along with hole centers to be used instead of needing to create axis lines, but I am assuming there is a downstream iLogic use for these. 

Please select the Accept Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! If I recall correctly, this is a limitation. It is because the resting position may interfere with other constraints solve. As a result, it can be violated. Only when the given component has more DOF, the resting position will be honored.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

Based on the sketch below I 've defined all dimentions in a specific way using Inventor (sketch attached as .prt file) in order to be as accurate as possible. The DOF of the mechanism is equal to 1 and the cylinder is supposed to move the entire mechanism. I still can't figure out the solution. I ve tried to re-assembly again step by step checking the resting position. The fact is that some constrains seems to interfere but with a not obvious reason. Is there an option to let Inventor solve the problem? As for iLogic I'm not familiar with it but I would like to know about this if it's a way to handle more complicated assembly constrains. I'll see some tutorials.Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report