Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selection of disabled parts from assembly environment

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Mark_Wigan
1297 Views, 10 Replies

selection of disabled parts from assembly environment

hi guys i have a quick question,

pre- inv 2017 we could select parts from within an assembly, in graphics window even if the parts were disabled... just by using a crossing-window over a small portion of the part.

I see that disabled parts cannot be selected these days from the graphics window (inv pro 2017.3.1)

i'm looking for a setting but not yet found if we can toggle back to the functionality that we were using in earlier versions. it was a good feature and saves looking through the browser.

many thanks, happy Friday.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Per @dan_szymanski dan wrote..

This behavior did in fact regress in Inv 2017.   The issue/bug has been brought to our Engineering Teams attention and we are investigating the cause in hopes of identifying a fix.  Thanks again for passing this along.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Mark,

This has been discussed a few months ago. This has something to do with what Un-Enable (disabled) really means. To skip the long discussion, you can start reading from post#45 and later.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/selecting-parts-through-a-transparent-part-in-an-assem...

Enabled in Inventor means, the components are in the context. Un-Enabled means the components are taken out of the context. Since they are out of the context, they should not be selectable, which is the reason for the behavioral change.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 11
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

thanks for the explanation. it is agreed that such parts are out of context and therefore not selectable, but it was a very specific & convenient tool that has been taken away.

hope we can get it back one day or provide users the Option to decide themselves whether they want that or not.

eg Ctrl + crossing window = selection of disabled.

ps- I didn't see anyone specifically asking for this to be taken out of use so I'm guessing it is just an oversight. probably easy to fix.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Right now the only way (I know of) to re-enable a part is to look for it in the browser, which can be very time consuming and inefficient. It seems a more efficient solution would be to allow a "SHIFT" (or "CTRL", or whatever other keyboard key) plus right-mouse click on an "un-enabled" component to select it, even if all that selection allows is the "Find in Browser" option.

Message 6 of 11
Bryan-Kelley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Dan,

@dan_szymanski
@Anonymous

Since it sounds like there has been a regression on this, what about considering this request?

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/an-option-to-re-enable-all-disabled-parts/idi-p/6598491

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Kelley | Sr. CAD Administrator | Columbia Machine | www.colmac.com
Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi @Bryan-Kelley and @Anonymous,

I am sorry I am not sure what regression is. Is it about the behavioral change for Transparency support?

There is actually a way to select all components regardless of their "Enable" status. Go to Select Filter -> Select All in Camera. It will select all visible components within the camera view.

I do agree having the ability to select all Enabled or Disabled components will be great.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
Bryan-Kelley
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

No, it's about trying to change the capabilities of selecting Enabled / Non-Enabled components. Selecting components on screen...Selecting components on screen...Selected components - the two non-enabled parts are not selected...Selected components - the two non-enabled parts are not selected...But, I can use the Invert Selection option...But, I can use the Invert Selection option......and the two components will be selected.  Fairly cumbersome on a small assembly like this.  Very cumbersome on an IAM with a few hundred components or more....and the two components will be selected. Fairly cumbersome on a small assembly like this. Very cumbersome on an IAM with a few hundred components or more.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Kelley | Sr. CAD Administrator | Columbia Machine | www.colmac.com
Message 9 of 11

Option for "RE-Enable ALL disabled parts" :

Please add this! It's insanely frustrating trying to find a few un-enabled parts in a browser tree with hundreds, if not 1000+ parts/assemblies. Sometimes i just need to be able to see behind and select behind a component. Transparent only allows seeing, i can't select and measure through. Unchecking "enabled" allows me to do my work, but then I must search the browser tree to find the parts. 

"RE-Enable ALL disabled parts" or being able to CTRL+Select or SHIFT+ Select would help tremendously. 

Message 10 of 11

It's been a while, but here's an iLogic rule that I cobbled together that will reenable all disabled components and parts in an assembly.

Sub main()
Dim asmDoc As AssemblyDocument = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

' Call the function that traverses the assembly and sets the visibility.
Call reEnable(asmDoc.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences)

End Sub

Private Sub reEnable(Occurrences As ComponentOccurrences)
	' Iterate through each of the occurrences in the collection provided.
	Dim occ As ComponentOccurrence
	For Each occ In Occurrences
		If (occ.Enabled <> True) Then 'check if disabled
			Logger.Info("{0} is disabled, toggling.", occ.Name)
			occ.Enabled = True 'reenable
			'occ.Enabled = Not occ.Enabled 'Optional toggle for whatever reason. 
		End If

' If this occurrence is a subassembly, recursively call this
		' function to traverse through the subassembly.
		If occ.DefinitionDocumentType = kAssemblyDocumentObject Then
			Call reEnable(occ.SubOccurrences)
		End If
	Next
End Sub

Thanks to @ekinsbhere for the self referencing sub that iterates through assembly trees.

Message 11 of 11

Success! Thanks very much for posting this and sharing with the community! Our CAD manager was able to implement this into our user interface so our team can resume using this functionality. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report