Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select Chamfer Edge

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mluterman
430 Views, 7 Replies

Select Chamfer Edge

When there is a chamfer error (dimension gets disconnected) and you try to Recover/reattach it, you never get the "Select chamfer edge" request the first time, I must always click Recover (red cross) twice to get that request to appear; then I can finally reattach the chamfer. Anybody else experiencing this? This has been happening for years now.

mluterman_0-1687802743015.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mluterman

Hi Mitchell,

I guess I did not follow the exact same steps as yours. I could not reproduce it. The sick chamfer note requires two picks (chamfer edge and the reference edge). Could you share an example that illustrates the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8
mluterman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello Johnson, this only happens when doing "Replace Model Geometry" in a .dwg (copied from a similar-looking part), so the workflow (and what happens along the way) is this:

-Copy an "old" .dwg and its associated .ipt as a starting point (using "Save As" command) for your new part/drawing and save both with new names.
-Click "Replace Model Geometry" to replace old .ipt with new one on that new .dwg; this is where most dimensions become orphaned ("disconnected").
-Click "Recover" on an orphaned Chamfer dimension, and it never displays "Select chamfer edge" the first time (so you exit the command).
-Click "Recover" for a second time, and magically, it requests, "Select chamfer edge", the way it should the first time (it always works the second time).

Message 4 of 8
CGBenner

@mluterman 

Are you able to simply grab the connection point glyphs and drag them, without using the "Recover"?  It may take a few tries to figure out which one goes to the edge, and which to the reference... but maybe it will save the extra clicks?  I have not tested this.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 8
mluterman
in reply to: CGBenner

Unfortunately, that doesn't work with these orphaned chamfers, only orphaned dimensions.
Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Mitchell and Chris,

This is absolutely a bug. I am able to reproduce it in 2021, which regresses from 2020. The attached simple dataset can reproduce the behavior on Inventor 2021 and later. I will work with the project team to understand the behavior better. Hopefully, it will be fixed soon.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
mluterman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you very much, Johnson. It's been "bugging" me for a long time...
Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! This has been reported as INVGEN-70221.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report