Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save AS STL

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tallgoodJV97V
406 Views, 5 Replies

Save AS STL

Here is my problem. I use inventor to create home projects. I have a Student version. inventor 2018.

It seems to to be very buggy there are a lot of things that cause it to crash. Unexpected close.

Something as simple as saving and closing your work. Loosing your files. So you have do it over and over again.

Also If you create a model and make a updated version using the save as function the save as works fine except when you try to open the new saved as file of a different name. in the 3D printer environment the original part shows up not the updated part with the new name. This Sucks because if you want to make incremental changes to a part. the only way to do it is to start over and draw a part from the beginning. This is Crap just like this product. Autodesk is no longer a premiere CAD Vendor. All they do is produce Crap. Basic function don't work. YES I SAID CRAP.

I have sent crash Report after crash Report with no reply.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@tallgoodJV97V

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

Your tone is not a great way to start off as a newbie looking for support in a user based forum.  Yes we all get frustrated and vocal about things.   But instead of using so much negativity, take the frustration out of your words and only post about the issue that you're faced with.  In addition for someone who got a free 3 year license you have no reason to be so negativity toward Autodesk.

Crashes could be related to many things...   Have you applied update Inventor 2018.2 and 2018.2.3?  Do you know what version you're on?   Does you machine meet the system requirements?  Is your video card up to date?   What is your operating system?  Is it Windows 10?   Win 10 version 1709?

Update: This statement "I use inventor to create home projects. I have a Student version. inventor 2018"  Are you currently signed up and attending a qualified educational institution?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: tallgoodJV97V

@tallgoodJV97V

Honestly this all sounds like a combination of setup and training issues.  Nothing that can't be fixed.

I suggest taking this one step (problem) at a time.  List the exact problem, the workflow that led to the issue in as much detail as possible, and add screen captures or videos showing what went wrong.

List each problem in a separate thread so we can help you out, and then future users can find the solutions if they have the same problem.  We're here to help, but we can't help you with "this is cr**"... too generic.  LOL

Message 4 of 6
kelly.young

Hello @tallgoodJV97V I see that you are visiting as a new member to the Inventor Forum.
Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Sorry to see you're disappointed with the performance of Inventor. Do you have a screenshot you can share of the issue, attach your parts with.Pack & Go  as .zip, or record a screencast showing the behavior?

If you can document and describe in detail what you're experiencing that would help in getting you operating more smoothly. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 6

Hi! I think I know what you are talking about. It is specific to 3D Print environment, right? We did have an issue on 2018 RTM and earlier. When you save the ipt file as a different name, the 3D Print node may still reference the older geometry before you save. You can delete the 3D Print node and re-enter the 3D Print environment. However, you do lose any feature you created within 3D Print environment.

The issues should have been fixed on 2018.2.3 update. Have you applied the updates? Also, can you share an example of the issues you are seeing? You mentioned that you have submitted the crash reports. Could you send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can find the reports?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
kelly.young

@tallgoodJV97V were you able to get your Inventor running consistently? Did you fill out the Crash Error Report with your email?

If you can supply a bit more information there are many community members here that can help. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report