Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate a drawing view, Button Vanished

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
TGibson7A8HD
707 Views, 9 Replies

Rotate a drawing view, Button Vanished

So, creating a drawing, and placing views. When I set my custom view orientation and then go back to rotate the projected view, there is no option for rotate.  I'm not sure how or why it has vanished from the menu, I am clicking on the red dots and can find no way to edit was appears in the right click menu and what does not. 

Inventor 2021

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620

NVIDIA Quadro K4000

20 GB ram

TGibson7A8HD_0-1645824559688.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SBix26
in reply to: TGibson7A8HD

More information, please... Which view is the base view, and which is the projected?  What was the base view orientation before it was custom oriented?

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2022.2.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 10

"You cannot rotate a view that has a dependent section or auxiliary view."
https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2022/ENU/?guid=GUID-59C0094B-4B2D-4176-ABC0-A9FB8E311316
Message 4 of 10
TGibson7A8HD
in reply to: SBix26

It is the base view, it's in prospective. I've been able to do it on every single one I've ever placed until last week, now I cant do it at all. 

Message 5 of 10

It doest, its just a projected view. I've always been able to rotate them prior, now I just cant
Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is still there. It is just moved to the ribbon. Look at "Rotate a Angle" command in Custom View Orientation tab. Also, this command has become available in general View commands like Zoom, Pan, and so on in all document types.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
TGibson7A8HD
in reply to: johnsonshiue

So this is helpful, but its not a full fix. Using this everything looks sloppy, as there is no way to do Vertical or Horizontal alignments on the projected lines.

I can at least accomplish getting the view angles I need, but it looks sloppy and unprofessional without the ability to align the view once its been rotated. 

Again, this is just a feature that seems to have vanished. I could do it last week prior to my post, and no longer have the option at all. 

TGibson7A8HD_0-1646321196466.png

Message 8 of 10
SBix26

Using the Rotate at Angle tool that @johnsonshiue suggested, start with an orthogonal view:

SBix26_0-1646328586660.png

Rotate horizontally:

SBix26_1-1646328694634.png

Rotate vertically:

SBix26_2-1646328781810.png

Vertical edges remain vertical.

Not an ideal solution, for sure, but it works.  Just remember to adjust the vertical rotation last, so as to maintain the alignment.

In addition, the same thing can be done using the Constrained Orbit tool to adjust one axis at a time using the mouse instead of precise numeric increments.

Sam B

Message 9 of 10
TGibson7A8HD
in reply to: SBix26

I'll give this a shot. Are you aware if the feature was removed? You certainly seem to understand what I meant. 

Message 10 of 10
SBix26

This is the way I have always done custom view orientations, so I don't know about any other tools.  I use Rotate View with orthogonal views, but not with anything else.

Sam B

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report