Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revovled iFeature set in only 1 direction

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
snappyjazz
585 Views, 10 Replies

Revovled iFeature set in only 1 direction

Hello,

I created an iFeature of a stamp. It uses a sketch (see top pic below) to revolve (cut) the stamp. I finally got it to work on flat faces as well as curved surfaces. However when testing with the designers we inserted the ifeature from a different direction. The finding is that the ifeature works in only one direction. The two bottom screenshots are of a successful insert in the same direction as the sketch, and a failed insert because the sketch is in the wrong direction as the intended use. My question is, is it possible to use the ifeature in multiple directions? 

snappyjazz_0-1686856479612.png

snappyjazz_1-1686856497241.png

snappyjazz_2-1686856514536.png

Labels (4)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
snappyjazz
in reply to: snappyjazz

I discovered I could put an angle dimension in the sketch and rotate the sketch to turn it around via the ifeature property. Is there a way to make  it dynamic? For instance I use a profile plane (perpendicular plane) for the profile sketch and a sketch point on the plane parallel to my surface. Can I get the ifeature to always read the direction of the parallel plane and adjust accordingly?

Message 3 of 11
Frederick_Law

Yes, you can include a face select so it cut into that face.

iFeature-02.jpgiFeature-04.jpg

Message 4 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! This could be related how the sketch coordinate is aligned to. Please share the files (ide and the ipt extracting the ide) here. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 11
snappyjazz
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@Frederick_Law 

I'm sorry I don't understand how to use the face. The revolve sketch I 'm using is perpendicular to the face. So when creating the iFeature and selecting the revolve, it always uses this plane as the position geometry. What you say sounds good, but I dont' know how to use the face. Can you explain in further detail?

snappyjazz_0-1686944194892.png

@johnsonshiue 

Please see the attachment...

It wouldn't let me attach the ide for a reason I don't understand.

snappyjazz_0-1686944283174.png

Message 6 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I have simplified the feature dependency so that only a planar face is needed to position the Revolution feature. Please take a look at the attached part and extract the sketch, the workplane, and the Revolution feature. It should insert correctly now.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
snappyjazz

@johnsonshiue 

Thanks for taking a look at this. I had a look at your part and made an ifeature. Yes it is down to one plane to insert it, however I still have to manually rotate the ifeature if I insert it from an angle different than the sketch. Is this possible? Am I misunderstanding your help?

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am sorry I misunderstood your request. Could you elaborate on what you meant by a different angle? The sketch plane on an angled plane? Or, the revolve axis is at an angle?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
snappyjazz

@johnsonshiue 

So in the original post I have 3 photos to describe my request. In the top photo is the profile sketch, where the wider part is drawn to the left (away from the part). Which is fine if I insert the ifeature from the left side everytime. But if I try to insert the ifeature from the right side of the part, the wide section is still on the left (now its towards the part). So its backwards. Is there a way to insert the ifeature where I can insert it from the left or right and the wide section of the sketch is always pointed away from the part. I figured out how to put a rotate on the sketch, but that's still a manual process to do after you insert the ifeature on the right side. Does that help?

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Did you extract the features from the file I attached? Here is the ide file. It seems to work for me on any planar face. The wide opening is always facing out. Please try it out.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
snappyjazz

You're right, when inserted your ifeature I was able to insert it on the right and left side and the wider side was always out. However I can't reproduce your result on my own original stamp part. Can you walk me through your steps? with photos?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report