Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit/Inventor link issues

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
Anonymous
254 Views, 0 Replies

Revit/Inventor link issues

In short, I work with decorating building façades. I receive Revit files from an architect firm, but all my work is modelled, drawn and printed in Inventor. I have been experimenting with the Revit/Inventor workflows, trying to come up with a best practice for our small company, and I am at my wits end.

The problem is this: I use the “Import CAD files” button to import a linked .rvt file in Inventor. The files are too big to work with, even if I construct a good 3D view and uncheck as many families as possible, so I build a basic shell model in Inventor on top of the building, intending for it to be linked as a reference, which I then work on and build my façade.

Next week, the architect sends an updated Revit file for the project. I update the referenced Inventor import, but my parts and assemblies do not change shape following the update. My constrained parts will move, and some changes might be visual enough that I can easily see the change and make a correction, but if a wall is made 100mm taller, I might not catch it, and now my decoration is out of place, without my knowledge.

I am attaching a link to a dropbox with an example file of a house where I have tried to build import an rvt and add a bit of decoration. You can see the issue if you change the height, length or move around the walls in Revit.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7m9wvuirrk4bjnn/AABcaBBrlrD79qsyQ5yUpFvBa?dl=0

Solutions would be something along the lines of either finding a way to constrain decorations in such a way, that at least an error is given when conflicting updates are made, so that I am made aware of them. Or setting them up so that they can follow the updates automatically.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You should assume that there is no further communication from the architect beyond sending the updated rvt file.

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report