Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision block template constraint

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1011 Views, 8 Replies

Revision block template constraint

My company uses a revision block at revision "A" for an "Initial release" on the .Idw template. The template is set up to be opened to a "D" size sheet. At this size, the revision block is positioned correctly. When the sheet size is changed, the revision block doesn't remain in the upper right hand corner. Can anyone describe how to attach the revision block to the border so it will remain in the proper position while changing sheet sizes? Maybe a constraint?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm looking to do the same thing.  Any ideas?

Message 3 of 9
bobvdd

You can store a revision table at a specific position in a custom sheet format in a drawing template.

Here are the steps (example uses A2 and A4 sheet formats but the steps can be accomplished with any formats)

1. Start a brand new A2 drawing and add a revision block positioned in the upper right corner.
  2. On sheet:1 , use the "Create sheet format" context menu and call the Sheet format "A2-upper right"
  3. Add sheet:2 with A4 size
  4. Delete Sheet:1
  5. Add a revision block to the remaining sheet and position it in the upper right corner
  6. On sheet:1 you use the "Create sheet format" and call the Sheet format "A4-upper right"
  7. Delete sheet:1 so that you have an empty drawing (except in the drawing resources you now have two sheet formats)
  8. Repeat 4 to 7 for each additional sheet format
  9. Save as > Save copy as template
  10. Use this template to create new drawings and use either "A2-upper right" or "A4-upper right" to create new sheets.

The result is that your revision block will be positioned correctly at the start of a new sheet.

Note: if you need to change the size of a sheet that contains a revision block and you want to to avoid repositioning the revision block, you could always create a new sheet of the right size and copy views from one sheet to another. But the cure in this case takes more time than just manually repositioning the revision block 😞

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: bobvdd

Thanks!  Its not the best way of doing it but it does work if its the only way currently.

Message 5 of 9
bobvdd

I don't know of anything better. There is no way to "constrain" the revision block to the border other than through the template or by dragging manually.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Sorry I just cant find this command or context menu, you called "Create sheet format" can somone point me in the right direction? Does the Adesk person mean RMB "New sheet"

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Your instructions were great except for the 1st part threw me off for a day, for anyone who might be confused as to where this command is in the future. Here is a screen shot I took its RMB over the 'Browser Bar" or as the Adesk guys called "Context menu" Pretty nifty trick Smiley Wink

Also this wont work if you have to rotate your revision block, while it works just fine without the revision block rotated it, dumps the revision back in there but its rotated to another angle, Adesk please fix this

Message 8 of 9
bobvdd

Many thanks for pointing out the rotation problem. 
I have logged this in our defect tracking system with number 1373146

Title: "Cannot use rotated revision block in sheet format"

Thanks again.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Great, anyway you guys can add the ablitity to constrain it as well as the orignator of this post suggested, it would be a huge help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report